Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statically Indeterminate Beam

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    I have a fixed-end fixed-end beam with two roller supports as well and a load applied in the center of the beam, as shown below.

wV8oH.png

I've chosen my redundant forces to be the force at B (point up), the force at C (pointing up), the force at D (pointing up) and the moment at D (counter-clockwise).

I'm solving for these reactions using deflection and slope equations for a cantilever beam; specifically:

The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at B=0
    The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at C=0
    The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at D=0
    The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net slope at D=0

using these equations: http://www.advancepipeliner.com/Resources/Others/Beams/Beam_Deflection_Formulae.pdf

I wrote up a worksheet in MathCAD and used matrix inversion to solve for the redundant forces. However, I am highly suspicious of the answers because the reactionary forces at B and C are not the same (as I'd assume they would be due to symmetry). Here is my worksheet:

6UqDQ.png

Anyone see any errors that I have made?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    What happened to the force and momentum at A? I understand that they should be the same as at D? You basically have a symmetric problem here.

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    The force and moment at A doesn't factor into this (just yet at least). The compatibility equations are used to solve for the redundant forces.

See here for a detailed explanation: http://www.sut.ac.th/engineering/civil/courseonline/430331/pdf/09_Indeterminate.pdf

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An inspection of your A matrix shows that it is symmetric about the main diagonal except for A(1,2) and A(2,1).

On a numerical analysis note, since the beam is composed of the same material throughout and the I of each segment is the same, the quantity EI can be set to 1 without affecting the C vector.

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5
    Ack! Good catch! I wrote the wrong equation for A(1,2) :blushing:; checking the general formula gives an equation that is the same as A(2,1) (as you pointed out). Making this adjustment gives me symmetric results that make sense.

Very good point; the E*I can be factored out of both matrices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook