Why Are My Reactions Not Symmetrical?

In summary: However, I don't think this is what is causing the problem. Ack! Good catch! I wrote the wrong equation for A(1,2) :blushing:; checking the general formula gives an equation that is the same as A(2,1) (as you pointed out). Making this adjustment gives me symmetric results that make sense.
6Stang7
I have a fixed-end fixed-end beam with two roller supports as well and a load applied in the center of the beam, as shown below.

wV8oH.png

I've chosen my redundant forces to be the force at B (point up), the force at C (pointing up), the force at D (pointing up) and the moment at D (counter-clockwise).

I'm solving for these reactions using deflection and slope equations for a cantilever beam; specifically:

The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at B=0
The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at C=0
The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net deflection at D=0
The sum of all the redundant force and the applied load will produce a net slope at D=0

using these equations: http://www.advancepipeliner.com/Resources/Others/Beams/Beam_Deflection_Formulae.pdf

I wrote up a worksheet in MathCAD and used matrix inversion to solve for the redundant forces. However, I am highly suspicious of the answers because the reactionary forces at B and C are not the same (as I'd assume they would be due to symmetry). Here is my worksheet:

6UqDQ.png

Anyone see any errors that I have made?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What happened to the force and momentum at A? I understand that they should be the same as at D? You basically have a symmetric problem here.

gsal said:
What happened to the force and momentum at A? I understand that they should be the same as at D? You basically have a symmetric problem here.

The force and moment at A doesn't factor into this (just yet at least). The compatibility equations are used to solve for the redundant forces.

See here for a detailed explanation: http://www.sut.ac.th/engineering/civil/courseonline/430331/pdf/09_Indeterminate.pdf

An inspection of your A matrix shows that it is symmetric about the main diagonal except for A(1,2) and A(2,1).

On a numerical analysis note, since the beam is composed of the same material throughout and the I of each segment is the same, the quantity EI can be set to 1 without affecting the C vector.

SteamKing said:
An inspection of your A matrix shows that it is symmetric about the main diagonal except for A(1,2) and A(2,1).

Ack! Good catch! I wrote the wrong equation for A(1,2) :blushing:; checking the general formula gives an equation that is the same as A(2,1) (as you pointed out). Making this adjustment gives me symmetric results that make sense.

SteamKing said:
On a numerical analysis note, since the beam is composed of the same material throughout and the I of each segment is the same, the quantity EI can be set to 1 without affecting the C vector.

Very good point; the E*I can be factored out of both matrices.

1. What is a statically indeterminate beam?

A statically indeterminate beam is a type of structural element that has more unknown forces than equations of equilibrium available to solve for them. This means that the internal forces and reactions of the beam cannot be determined using traditional methods of structural analysis.

2. How is the number of indeterminacies in a beam determined?

The number of indeterminacies in a beam can be determined by using the equation N = 3M + R, where N is the number of indeterminacies, M is the number of unknown external reactions, and R is the number of unknown internal forces. This equation is based on the three equations of equilibrium (sum of forces in x, y, and moment equations) that are available to solve for the unknowns.

3. What are the types of statically indeterminate beams?

There are two types of statically indeterminate beams: statically indeterminate to the first degree (or simply indeterminate beams) and statically indeterminate to the second degree (or hyperstatic beams). Indeterminate beams have one or more unknown internal forces, while hyperstatic beams have more than one of these unknowns.

4. How can statically indeterminate beams be solved?

Statically indeterminate beams can be solved using advanced methods of structural analysis such as the slope-deflection method, moment distribution method, and the stiffness method. These methods involve creating additional equations based on the behavior of the beam and using them to solve for the unknown internal forces and reactions.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using statically indeterminate beams?

The advantages of using statically indeterminate beams include their ability to handle complex loadings and their higher load-carrying capacity compared to determinate beams. However, they also require more complex analysis methods and may result in more costly and time-consuming designs.