How do I solve a 3D problem involving a trailer and wheel sizing using statics?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Mechaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Statics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a 3 wheel trailer and finding the load on the wheels using statics. The trailer has a rectangular section with a plate on top carrying a load of 3500kg. To solve the problem, one can sum the moments and forces to find the unknowns. The conversation also clarifies that the rear axle (A) is supported at the same point as wheel A in the section view. The rectangular plate can be collapsed to a single line with the 35kN load. The conversation ends with the understanding that the issue has been resolved.
Mechaman
Hi all, I have a problem with a 3 wheel trailer and sizing the wheels. Using statics, how would I solve this 3D problem by breaking it down?

The trailer is sitting on rectangular section and a plate on top carries an even load of 3500kg (roughly 35kN)

If I take a cross section A-A and try and find the load wheel B is under, there is nothing to support it. I'm not sure how I would approach this problem?

Problem attached: https://imgur.com/Pf0tfKH

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since it is static, you can sum the moments about a particular point equal to zero. Then all forces acting on the trailer must sum to zero. You will have some equations to solve for the different unknowns.

What happened to the rear axle (A) on the bottom diagram?

scottdave said:
What happened to the rear axle (A) on the bottom diagram?
Would the axle be considered the same as wheel A when looking at it in section view?

Yes, that section is supported at point where wheel A is. Think along the same lines as you being able to collapse the entire rectangular plate down to a single line with the 35 kN.

Likes Mechaman
scottdave said:
Yes, that section is supported at point where wheel A is. Think along the same lines as you being able to collapse the entire rectangular plate down to a single line with the 35 kN.
Great I think I understand now. Thanks for the help.

Likes scottdave

What is a "Statics 3D problem"?

A "Statics 3D problem" is a type of problem in physics and engineering that involves finding the equilibrium of a three-dimensional system of forces. It requires the use of vector mathematics and principles of statics to determine the unknown forces and their magnitudes and directions.

What are the key principles used to solve a "Statics 3D problem"?

The key principles used to solve a "Statics 3D problem" include the equilibrium conditions (sum of forces and moments equal to zero), the use of free body diagrams to represent the forces acting on the system, and the application of vector mathematics to solve for unknown forces.

What are some common applications of solving "Statics 3D problems"?

Solving "Statics 3D problems" is essential in many fields, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design structures such as bridges and buildings, determine the stability of objects and structures, and analyze the forces acting on complex systems.

What are some tips for solving "Statics 3D problems" effectively?

Some tips for solving "Statics 3D problems" effectively include starting with a clear and accurate free body diagram, carefully labeling all forces and their directions, breaking down complex systems into simpler parts, and double-checking the calculations to ensure accuracy.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "Statics 3D problems"?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Statics 3D problems." These include neglecting to consider all forces acting on the system, using incorrect units or vector operations, and not following the equilibrium conditions properly. It is also important to check that the final solution makes physical sense in the context of the problem.