Did I Solve the Equations for Statics and Friction Correctly?

In summary, the equations for equilibrium at points A and B are F1 = T sin \theta and F2 = T sin \theta, respectively. To get the final answer of cos \theta = (9u2 + 1)-0.5, you can use the result of tan \theta = 3u and the right-angled triangle with adjacent side = 1 and opposite side = 3u. It appears that the "a" in the last equation is a typo and should be a "9".
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

DSCF0001.jpg

Homework Equations

F = uR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the followings:

For equilibrium at A, the equation should be F1 = T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]. Am I right?

While for the one at B, the equation should be F2 = T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]. Am I right?

In addition, how can I get cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = (au2 + 1)-0.5 at the last answer?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisyuen said:

Homework Statement

DSCF0001.jpg

Homework Equations

F = uR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the followings:

For equilibrium at A, the equation should be F1 = T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]. Am I right?

While for the one at B, the equation should be F2 = T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]. Am I right?

In addition, how can I get cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = (au2 + 1)-0.5 at the last answer?

Thank you very much!

I tried some methods and found the followings finally:

tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = 3u = 3u / 1

Put the above result to a right-angled triangle with adjacent side = 1 and opposite side = 3u,

we can get cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = (9u2 + 1)-0.5.

I guessed that the "a" is actually a "9" which is a typo instead. Am I right?

chrisyuen said:
I tried some methods and found the followings finally:

tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = 3u = 3u / 1

Put the above result to a right-angled triangle with adjacent side = 1 and opposite side = 3u,

we can get cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = (9u2 + 1)-0.5.

I guessed that the "a" is actually a "9" which is a typo instead. Am I right?

You seem to be quite right.

1. What is statics in physics?

Statics is the branch of physics that deals with the analysis of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It focuses on the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects.

2. How does friction affect static objects?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When applied to a static object, friction can prevent it from moving or maintain its position. Friction between stationary objects is known as static friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction between two surfaces?

The amount of static friction between two surfaces is affected by the type of materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It also depends on the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It is a unitless value and is denoted by the symbol μs.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs between two surfaces in motion. The force of kinetic friction is generally lower than the force of static friction.