1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics and Strength of Materials Help Please

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    Ive been trying to work out these problems for 2 days now. Ive read through the book "Statics and Strength of Materials, Second Edition" By: Cheng. Ive googled Everything. Ive been on other Forums and have got no reply. Ive tried Facebook Math Pages. No Answers. Ive been Looking for free help everywhere and I cant Find ANYTHING. Ive even asked my instructor for help and he only gives me small hints on where to start.

These make no sense to me and I have no clue where to begin and how to go about solving any of these. This is my last resort. Im going to fail if none of you can help me out. I would love for someone to send pics of working it out if its possible. Ive got some of my shown work Written down but I'm 100% Sure I'm going the exact opposite way of where I'm supposed to be headed.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 9.00.30 PM.png
    3.png
    4.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    14970989_10157766071965078_112542166_o.jpg
    14971452_10157766072105078_1604782865_o.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find a 'help' link, find the section, 'How to Ask for Homework Help' and give it a read, particularly this passage:

For question 1), BX is zero, by inspection. To find BY, take moments about A. No trigonometry is required.

For question 2) It looks like you've completely ignored the hanging mass and the fact that Tac has an X component.
    apply the equations of static equilibrium:
    ∑Fx = 0
    ∑Fy = 0

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3

Alright thanks ill start there. And I know I'm not supposed to just post pics but i cant explain the problem or whats going on if I don't know how to start or what to do. I cant believe how hard it has been to get just a LITTLE bit of help from the whole internet. Its been exhausting trying to find an active forum or anyone to talk to about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted