1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics assignment a bit

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    Statics assignment a bit urgent

So here is my assignment. i wish that someone could help me.

now i know that this system is statically determinate and that i can compute the forces. my problem is that i cannot figure out how i can compute the moment. the Aim of the assignment is to find all the reactional forces in the members.

i was also thinking that the left hand side member could be a zero force member. i dont know whether i am right or wrong

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Statics assignment a bit urgent

Your image is only partial. Where is the load or couple applied? I see something about 10kN-m, that's about it.....please indicate the whole problem statement. Is that a triangular solid yoke plate with a hole in the center?

4. Dec 16, 2009 #3

yes there is only a moment applied on the bottom right hand corner. and the triangle i think is assumed to weightless and solid. i dont think the hole in the centre would affect the force resultants.

5. Dec 16, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, I didn't see that couple down there, my eyes are not that good ; it appears the plate is sliding at its left along a frictionless rod I guess, but I do have another question with strained eyes, I see a number 6 near the top of the triangle, at the cord...no units can I see...6 what??

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very good, darrulls! Now draw your free-body diagram, and show the reaction forces acting on it. You must list relevant equations, and show your work; then someone might check your math. The 6 means 6". You know the 6 indicates a 6" rod, not a cord, because, if it were a cord, the problem would be dynamics, not statics.

7. Dec 19, 2009 #6

Hi do you really think that the left hand side member is a zero force member. if that is so why?

8. Dec 19, 2009 #7

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I currently do. I think you know why. I saw your insightful answer in another thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook