Statics assignment a bit (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Statics assignment a bit urgent

So here is my assignment. i wish that someone could help me.

now i know that this system is statically determinate and that i can compute the forces. my problem is that i cannot figure out how i can compute the moment. the Aim of the assignment is to find all the reactional forces in the members.

i was also thinking that the left hand side member could be a zero force member. i dont know whether i am right or wrong

Attachments

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Re: Statics assignment a bit urgent

Your image is only partial. Where is the load or couple applied? I see something about 10kN-m, that's about it.....please indicate the whole problem statement. Is that a triangular solid yoke plate with a hole in the center?

yes there is only a moment applied on the bottom right hand corner. and the triangle i think is assumed to weightless and solid. i dont think the hole in the centre would affect the force resultants.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

yes there is only a moment applied on the bottom right hand corner. and the triangle i think is assumed to weightless and solid. i dont think the hole in the centre would affect the force resultants.
Oh, I didn't see that couple down there, my eyes are not that good ; it appears the plate is sliding at its left along a frictionless rod I guess, but I do have another question with strained eyes, I see a number 6 near the top of the triangle, at the cord...no units can I see...6 what??

nvn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i was also thinking the left-hand side member could be a zero-force member.
Very good, darrulls! Now draw your free-body diagram, and show the reaction forces acting on it. You must list relevant equations, and show your work; then someone might check your math. The 6 means 6". You know the 6 indicates a 6" rod, not a cord, because, if it were a cord, the problem would be dynamics, not statics.

Hi do you really think that the left hand side member is a zero force member. if that is so why?

nvn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, I currently do. I think you know why. I saw your insightful answer in another thread.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving