How do I compute the moment in my statics assignment?

In summary, the conversation is about a statics assignment where the goal is to find all the reaction forces in the members. The system is statically determinate and the forces can be computed, but the issue is with computing the moment. There is a moment applied on the bottom right corner and a triangular solid yoke plate with a hole in the center is present. The hole is assumed to be weightless and not affect the force resultants. The left-hand side member is thought to be a zero-force member and the conversation also discusses a 6" rod and the possibility of it being a cord. The conversation ends with a question about the left-hand side member being a zero-force member and the response stating that it is believed to be a
darrulls
Statics assignment a bit urgent

So here is my assignment. i wish that someone could help me.

now i know that this system is statically determinate and that i can compute the forces. my problem is that i cannot figure out how i can compute the moment. the Aim of the assignment is to find all the reactional forces in the members.

i was also thinking that the left hand side member could be a zero force member. i don't know whether i am right or wrong

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx (1).jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx (1).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org

Your image is only partial. Where is the load or couple applied? I see something about 10kN-m, that's about it...please indicate the whole problem statement. Is that a triangular solid yoke plate with a hole in the center?

yes there is only a moment applied on the bottom right hand corner. and the triangle i think is assumed to weightless and solid. i don't think the hole in the centre would affect the force resultants.

darrulls said:
yes there is only a moment applied on the bottom right hand corner. and the triangle i think is assumed to weightless and solid. i don't think the hole in the centre would affect the force resultants.
Oh, I didn't see that couple down there, my eyes are not that good ; it appears the plate is sliding at its left along a frictionless rod I guess, but I do have another question with strained eyes, I see a number 6 near the top of the triangle, at the cord...no units can I see...6 what??

darrulls said:
i was also thinking the left-hand side member could be a zero-force member.

Very good, darrulls! Now draw your free-body diagram, and show the reaction forces acting on it. You must list relevant equations, and show your work; then someone might check your math. The 6 means 6". You know the 6 indicates a 6" rod, not a cord, because, if it were a cord, the problem would be dynamics, not statics.

Hi do you really think that the left hand side member is a zero force member. if that is so why?

Yes, I currently do. I think you know why. I saw your insightful answer in another thread.

What is the purpose of a statics assignment?

The purpose of a statics assignment is to apply the principles of mechanics to analyze and solve problems related to objects at rest or in uniform motion. It helps in understanding the forces and moments acting on a body and how they affect its equilibrium.

What are some common topics covered in a statics assignment?

Some common topics covered in a statics assignment include equilibrium of forces, free body diagrams, moments and couples, trusses, and friction. Other topics may include centroids, distributed loads, and static determinacy.

What are the key principles of statics?

The key principles of statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that an object at rest or in uniform motion will remain in that state unless acted upon by an external force. Other principles include the laws of motion, which describe how forces affect the motion of objects, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total effect of multiple forces acting on an object is the sum of their individual effects.

What are some common tools and techniques used in a statics assignment?

Some common tools and techniques used in a statics assignment include vector analysis, trigonometry, and algebra. Free body diagrams, which represent all the external forces acting on a body, are also commonly used. Additionally, the use of equations of equilibrium and the method of joints are important in solving statics problems.

How can I improve my understanding of statics for my assignment?

To improve your understanding of statics for your assignment, you can practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with the key principles and equations. It may also be helpful to seek help from a tutor or consult with your professor for further clarification on any concepts that you may be struggling with.