Statics cable length problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the y coordinate of point A but got confused because the y coordinate is at the end of the window not at 0.
sevag00

Homework Statement

The window is held open by the cable AB. Determine the length of the cable and express the 30N acting at A along the cable as a Cartesian vector.
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9599/ru5y.jpg

Homework Equations

vector(F) = FuAB

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6996/n7b0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the x and z coordinates of A.

ehild

Check the coordinates of B.

Yeah the B coordinates should be B(0,150,250) but i don't know what's wrong with the A coordinates especially the z one.

The plate is not horizontal, but inclined at 30°angle downward. 300 mm is the length of the edge.

ehild

300mm is the length of the edge which is the x coordinate, just like 500 which is the y coordinate.

sevag00 said:
300mm is the length of the edge which is the x coordinate, just like 500 which is the y coordinate.

Nope. Sketch the side view:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62900&stc=1&d=13817679824.gif

EDIT: Added point A to the diagram.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:
But isn't the y of point A at the end of the window and not at 0?

sevag00 said:
But isn't the y of point A at the end of the window and not at 0?

Yes. The sketch is looking along the y-axis (the y-axis is coming straight out of the page), so all y-coordinates will be seen as flat against the x-z plane. Point A is at the end of the heavy line, not at the origin.

So in this case, what is the coordinate?

sevag00 said:
So the y coordinate will be 300, right?

How do you get that? I thought we were talking about the x and z coordinates for point A.

sevag00 said:
So in this case, what is the coordinate?

I modified my diagram to show the location of point A (I thought it was obvious, but it never hurts to clarify). What x and z coordinates would you assign to point A?

So z=-300sin30 x=300cos30 and y=500.

gneill said:
How do you get that? I thought we were talking about the x and z coordinates for point A.

No. That was stupid. I edited my post.

sevag00 said:
So z=-300sin30 x=300cos30 and y=500.

Yes, that looks better.

Thanks for the help.

What is the "Statics cable length problem"?

The statics cable length problem is a physics problem that involves determining the length and tension of a cable supporting a suspended object. It is commonly used in engineering and construction to ensure the stability and safety of structures.

What are the key factors that affect the cable length and tension in the problem?

The key factors that affect the cable length and tension in the statics cable length problem are the weight of the suspended object, the angle at which the cable is suspended, and the distance between the anchor points of the cable.

How is the cable length and tension calculated in the statics cable length problem?

The cable length and tension can be calculated using the principles of statics and trigonometry. The weight of the suspended object is balanced by the tension in the cable, and the angle and distance between the anchor points are used to determine the forces acting on the cable.

What is the significance of solving the statics cable length problem?

Solving the statics cable length problem is important for ensuring the stability and safety of structures. It allows engineers and construction workers to determine the appropriate length and tension of cables to support suspended objects, preventing structural failures and accidents.

What are some common applications of the statics cable length problem?

The statics cable length problem is commonly used in the design and construction of bridges, cranes, and other structures that require suspended cables for support. It is also used in the installation of zip lines and cable cars.