1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics diagram problem

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    I have a diagram below for the problem.....what im trying to understand is when the moments are found about point A as they are in the solution.....the 800N force downward is considered positive and the Cy reaction is considered negative....and the Cx is considered positive.....

What confuses me is why the 800N is positive and the Cy negative...they are in opposite directions but they would cause the same rotation direction in my eyes.....I must be looking at it wrong...

Attached Files:

• fe.jpg
      fe.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You must be. If you imagine a pivot at end A, which direction would the 800 N force cause the rod to rotate? Since Cy is on the same side of the pivot but points in the opposite direction, it must cause it to rotate in the opposite sense.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    No i see now...For some reason I wasnt seeing A as the pivot point......when I thought of the 800N downwards I was seeing it as going counterclockwise but that would not be true because point A is a pivot holding it in place causeing it to rotate clockwise.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook