1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Statics] Finding the Tension

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1091/unled2cjt.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    I used sum of forces in x y direction and sum of moments

3. The attempt at a solution

So my problem here is that I solved for Ay (1275.3N) and now I have to solve for T

The obvious approach would be to use sum of forces in x direction after doing sum of forces in y to find B. Well I did that and found that B = 2550.6 which is double Ay and equal to mg. B is also perpendicular to the bridge thing. Now when I do sum of forces in x direction i do T = Bcos30 but that's wrong apparently.

Which part am I doing wrong? Is my B wrong?

I calculated B like so:
    Fy:0 = Ay - mg + Bsin30

Please help :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    Does this help? %^)

Attached Files:

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    unfortunately it does not. I figured that much. When i break down the N2 into it's components I still get a wrong answer for T

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    i think that it is important to know whether there is friction with the rollers at A and B.

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    There is not, so you would think that the x component of the normal force at B would be equal to T, but it's not!

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6
    If you explain more explicitly how you got B then I can try to give some help.

8. Oct 11, 2011 #7
    I calculated B like so:
    Fy:0 = Ay - mg + Bsin30

Direct copy from my first post... i don't think i can be more explicit than this..

9. Oct 11, 2011 #8

It has to be. What other forces in the x direction are there?

10. Oct 11, 2011 #9
    From what I understand there are 2 forces. B and T both pointing in the opposite direction. Is that correct?

11. Oct 11, 2011 #10
    I think that sin must be replaced by cos.

12. Oct 11, 2011 #11
    One must be careful here. The SIN30 component of B is in the opposite direction of T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook