How Does the Application Point of Force Affect Slippage in Statics?

In summary, a 400N post with height h rests on a rough horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction of .30. A rope is attached to the upper end of the post at an angle of 36.9°, while a horizontal force F is exerted on the post. The largest value for F without causing the post to slip is when F is applied at the midpoint of the post. If F is applied 6/10 of the way from the ground to the top of the post, the largest value it can have without causing slipping is 2 times the friction force. If the point of application of F is too high, the post will not slip regardless of the amount of force applied. Torque equations and the
Tonyt88

Homework Statement

One end of a post weighing 400N and with height h rests on a rough horizontal surface with (mu) = .30. The upper end ish help by a rope fastened to a surface and making an angle of 36.9° with the post. A horizontal force F is exerted on the post. (a) If the force F is applied at the midpoint of the post, what is the largest value it can have without causing the post to slip. (b) How large can the force be without causing the post to slip if its point of application is 6/10 of the way from the ground to the top of the post? (c) Show that if the point of application fo the force is too high, the post cannot be made to slip, no matter how great the force. Find the critical high for the point of application

Homework Equations

F = ma

F_Friction = (mu)N

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Net force = F cosθ -(mu) F

Net force = F (cos(36.9°) - .30)

Net force = F (~.50)

Where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Add on:

Moment of inertia is: 1/12 (ML²)

for (b) Moment of inertia is 1/12 (ML²) + M (L/10)² = (1/12+1/100)(ML²)

And torque = I(alpha)

What is the orientation of the post? It could be anything based on the problem description you have given.

Here's a link which has a diagram:

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys211/fall06/discussion/week11/Post.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and after sleeping on it, I got this far:

Normal force = mg + T cos(θ)

Force = Friction + T sin(θ)

And I know I need a torque equation, but how does that work out?

Last edited:
Tonyt88 said:
Oh, and after sleeping on it, I got this far:

Normal force = mg + T cos(θ)

Force = Friction + T sin(θ)

And I know I need a torque equation, but how does that work out?

As long as nothing is moving, you can calculate torque about any point and it must be zero. The point of connection of the rope looks good to me because that eliminates T from the torque equation.

But at the top, would the torque just be:

F(height) = 0 ??

Or am I missing another force?

Tonyt88 said:
But at the top, would the torque just be:

F(height) = 0 ??

Or am I missing another force?

Every force acting is a potential torque producer, but torque is the force times the perpendicular distance between the line of the force and the point about which torque is being calculated. For any point along the center of the vertical pole, the weight and the normal force produce no torque because the distance is zero. At the top, the tension produces no torque because the distance is zero, but F and friction both produce torques. What are they?

Would it just be:

FR - Friction(R) = 0

Thus, the force = friction

If this is true, does it hold true for every spot on the stick, or is my initial thought incorrect?

Tonyt88 said:
Would it just be:

FR - Friction(R) = 0

Thus, the force = friction

If this is true, does it hold true for every spot on the stick, or is my initial thought incorrect?

What is R? The distances from the top of the post to where F and friction are acting are not the same.

F(H/2) - Friction(H) = 0

F = 2(Friction)

Would this be correct then?

Tonyt88 said:
F(H/2) - Friction(H) = 0

F = 2(Friction)

Would this be correct then?

That should do it. Combine this with your other equations and you should be on your way.

1. What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in uniform motion. It involves the analysis of forces acting on stationary objects and how they affect the equilibrium of these objects.

2. What are forces on posts?

Forces on posts refer to the external forces acting on a post or column, which is a structural element used to support a load. These forces can include vertical loads, such as the weight of a building or structure, as well as horizontal forces, such as wind or seismic loads.

3. How do you calculate the forces on posts?

The forces on posts can be calculated using the principles of statics, specifically the equations of equilibrium. This involves summing up all the external forces and moments acting on the post and setting them equal to zero to determine the unknown forces and reactions.

4. What are some common types of forces on posts?

Some common types of forces on posts include axial forces, which act along the length of the post, and shear forces, which act perpendicular to the length of the post. Other forces may include bending moments, torsional forces, and lateral loads.

5. How are forces on posts important in structural design?

Forces on posts are crucial in structural design as they determine the stability and safety of a structure. By understanding the forces acting on a post, engineers can properly size and design the post to withstand these forces and ensure the overall stability of the structure.