1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Help!

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    I have a beam suspended by two cables with two weights suspended by the beam. The weight of the beam is negligible. How would I find the resting angles of the cables.

Attached Files:

• beam.bmp
      beam.bmp
      File size:
      207.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take T1 to be the tension in one cable, T2 the tension in the other. Take [itex]\theta1[/itex] to be the angle the first cable makes with the horizontal, [itex]\theta2[/itex] to be the angle the second cable makes. You can calculate the x and y components of both tension vectors in terms of T and [itex]\theta[/itex]. You know what the y component of each must be- they are given. You know that the x components must cancel, because the beam does not move left or right.

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    This is not a homework problem!
    It has been so long since I did anything like that.
    I have
    T1x=T2x
    T1y+T3y+W1=0
    T2y+T3y+w2=0

Then I get lost

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    Okay I worked it out again, I finally get to a point where a Angle C = something Angle A.
    This needs to be in a resting position and that is where my problem is.
    W1=350lbs W2=650lbs B=20Deg

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?