1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics - Machines

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    Here's the problem:

"The bone rongeur shown [refer to attachment] is used in surgical procedures to cut small bones. Determine the magnitude of the forces exerted on the bone at E when two 25-lb forces are applied as shown."

I understand that this "machine" can be broken into 4 free-body diagrams, and then I can use the equilibrium equations on each one to supposedly find the answer. However, my equations don't readily give me a way to solve for the force at E. Any ideas?

Here's all the equilibrium equations I have come up with:
    For the top left piece...
    [tex]
    \sum F_x = 0 = D_x + B_x
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \sum F_y = 0 = F_E + D_y - B_y
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \sum M_D = 0 = -1.2 F_E - 1.6 B_y - 0.45 B_x
    [/tex]
    For the top right piece...
    [tex]
    \sum F_x = 0 = -B_x + A_x
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \sum F_y = 0 = B_y + A_y - 25
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \sum M_A = 0 = -110 -1.1 B_y + 0.45 B_x
    [/tex]

It should be obvious that the bottom pieces are symmetric with the top pieces, and similiar in their equilibrium equations.

NOTE: The book indicates the answer is 133.3 lb.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct about the symmetry. For the upper and lower halves, each is just a coupled double lever. You can easily calculate the forces at B and C from the applied force and the distance ratios. Then do the same thing to find the force on each side of E.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. May 23, 2005 #3
    Can u post a detailed description on how u arrived at the above equations?
    You are correct, the four pieces of the instrument would give rise to four free body diagrams. However the final equations that u have got certainly have some components missing. So if u post how u analysed the free body diagrams (if possible do post the free body diagrams u have considered), it would be easier to point out the mistake (if any) u have made or possibly point out what u missed.

-- AI

5. May 23, 2005 #4
    Okay, I figured out how to get the answer via the couple ratios.
    (25)(4.4)/(1.1) = By
    (By)(1.6)/(1.2) = FE = 133.3 lb

However, I'm still not understanding how I could arrive at the via the equilibrium equations... attached is my free body diagrams for the top pieces. Any help?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?