1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: Magnitude of vectors HELP

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    Statics: Magnitude of vectors HELP!!

Could someone just tell me how to start this problem. I cant seem to think of anything right now.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
    Anybody???

I found the answer...68.2kN but I have no idea how to get that.

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Call the vector sum of the three forces [itex]{\vec F}_{net}[/itex], so you have the vector equation

[tex]{\vec F}_{net} = {\vec F}_A + {\vec F}_B + {\vec F}_C[/tex]

Write down the corresponding x- and y- component equations, using the magnitudes and angles of the forces. For example, the x-component of [itex]{\vec F}_A[/itex] is [itex] |{\vec F}_A} | \cos \theta_A[/itex]. You're given that the three forces have the same magnitude, so use [itex] |{\vec F}_A} | [/itex] for all of them, but of course the angles are different. And [itex]{\vec F}_{net}[/itex] has its own magnitude (which you're given) and angle (which is unknown).

Once you have those two equations, you should have enough information to solve for [itex] |{\vec F}_A} | [/itex].

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    As with all vector problems, I'd start by finding the components. To find the components, use basic geometry to find the angles.

Then you could write one equation saying 200= the sum of all the components
    and a few equations equating the magnitudes.

If that didn't help you, say so, and I'll try to explain it more explicitly.

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

jtbell

I'd better point out that whenever you have a problem involving magnitudes and angles of forces (or any other vectors, for that matter), this is usually a good way to start.

7. Aug 28, 2005 #6
    Could someone work that out a bit more. I'm just not seeing it:(

8. Aug 28, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Each force, A B and C can be broken down into their x and y components...You are given the triangle for each vector. Can you get that far to describe each of the three vectos?

9. Aug 28, 2005 #8
    I have A, B, and C broken down to x and y components. Now what?

10. Aug 28, 2005 #9
    I keep getting 47.09kN for the magnitude of Fa. I think the answer in the book is wrong.

11. Aug 29, 2005 #10

jtbell

Well, I don't think anybody here has psychic "remote vision," so we can't tell you where your mistake is unless you show us your work! :frown:

My calculation agrees with the book's answer of 68.2 kN, by the way.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  12. Aug 29, 2005 #11
    How are you getting that answer?

13. Aug 29, 2005 #12

jtbell

I did it the way I described earlier. :smile: The x- and y- equations gave me two equations in two unknowns: the magnitude of the individual forces, [itex] | {\vec F}_A | [/itex], and the direction (angle) of the net force.

14. Aug 29, 2005 #13
    I'm workin on it.

15. Aug 29, 2005 #14
    So set up into 2 equations is it...

200cos@ = |Fa|1.88
    200sin@ = |Fa|2.45
    ????

when that's worked out it comes to 64.7 which isnt quite right.

16. Aug 29, 2005 #15
    I got 67.4kN. I'll scan it and post up the work tomorrow morning so someone can tell me what I did wrong.

17. Aug 29, 2005 #16
    Here's what I have. Somebody PLEASE show me what I'm doing wrong!
    [​IMG]

18. Aug 29, 2005 #17

jtbell

When calculating components, always measure the angle from the x-axis (in which case the x-component uses the cosine and the y-component uses the sine) or from the y-axis (in which case you switch the sine and cosine). It looks like your angles are the interior angles of those triangles in the diagram, which is OK for one of them but not for the other two.

19. Aug 29, 2005 #18
    Holy crap!!! I could of swore I've done this before but I think I finally got it right.

Lemme work it out neatly and post it up!!!

20. Aug 29, 2005 #19

jtbell

Yeah, just fixing those two angles should do it.

21. Aug 29, 2005 #20
    [​IMG]

I think that's gonna be it!!!

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?