1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics -- Net Moment

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data statiics.PNG

2. Relevant equations
    I can see how the net force is not the same but I'm not getting the net moment.

3. The attempt at a solution
    12mm x 10N = 120N-mm. How do these two FBDs not have the same net moments.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the actual problem statement? Something about showing the two situations do not have the same net forces and net moments?

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    If I'm reading this right, it looks like the FBD on the right is just the FBD on the left, except it's showing you the moment caused by the 10N force. Or in other words, the 10N force is still there they're just not showing it and the net moment is the same on both. Of course I'm not sure what the actual problem statement is, so...

5. Dec 15, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In general, moment depends on the chosen axis. If you choose the left hand end of the bar as the axis then the moments will be the same, but maybe not for other choices.

6. Dec 16, 2016 #5
    I think haruspex may be correct. They are two separate FBD and the answer to the question is that neither their net force or moment are the same. I may need to over this again.

If no new comments are posted, thanks for your time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted