Understanding Net Force and Net Moment in Statics

In summary, the conversation discusses how the two given FBDs do not have the same net force or moment. The FBD on the right includes a 10N force that is not shown on the left, and their net moments may be different depending on the chosen axis. The problem statement is unclear, but the conversation ends with the request for further clarification.
WesTech

Homework Statement

statiics.PNG

Homework Equations

I can see how the net force is not the same but I'm not getting the net moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

12mm x 10N = 120N-mm. How do these two FBDs not have the same net moments.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
WesTech said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 110384

Homework Equations

I can see how the net force is not the same but I'm not getting the net moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

12mm x 10N = 120N-mm. How do these two FBDs not have the same net moments.

Thanks for any help!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the actual problem statement? Something about showing the two situations do not have the same net forces and net moments?

WesTech said:
How do these two FBDs not have the same net moments.

If I'm reading this right, it looks like the FBD on the right is just the FBD on the left, except it's showing you the moment caused by the 10N force. Or in other words, the 10N force is still there they're just not showing it and the net moment is the same on both. Of course I'm not sure what the actual problem statement is, so...

WesTech said:
How do these two FBDs not have the same net moments.
In general, moment depends on the chosen axis. If you choose the left hand end of the bar as the axis then the moments will be the same, but maybe not for other choices.

I think haruspex may be correct. They are two separate FBD and the answer to the question is that neither their net force or moment are the same. I may need to over this again.

If no new comments are posted, thanks for your time!

What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves the analysis of forces and their effects on stationary objects.

What is net moment?

Net moment, also known as net torque, is the overall rotational force acting on an object. It is the sum of all the individual moments acting on an object.

How is net moment calculated?

Net moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of a force by the distance from the pivot point at which the force is applied. This calculation is repeated for all forces acting on the object and then the individual moments are added together to find the net moment.

What is the difference between net moment and net force?

Net moment is a rotational force while net force is a linear force. Net moment causes an object to rotate while net force causes an object to move in a straight line.

Why is net moment important in statics?

Net moment is important in statics because it helps us understand the equilibrium of an object. If the net moment is equal to zero, the object is in rotational equilibrium, meaning it is not rotating. This is a crucial concept in engineering and design as it ensures the stability and safety of structures and machines.