Particles Statics: Tension in Ropes & Angle Alpha

In summary, two tugboats are pulling a barge. If the resultant of the forces exerted by the tugboats is a 5000-lb force directed along the axis of the barge, determine (a) the tension in each of the ropes, give then alpha = 45 (b) the value for alpha for which the tension in rope 2 is mininum.
David Donald

Homework Statement

Two tugboats are pulling a barge. if the resultant of the forces exerted by the tugboats is a 5000-lb force directed along the axis of the barge, determine
(a) the tension in each of the ropes, give then alpha = 45 (b) the value for alpha for which the tension in rope 2 is mininum

2rh4opu.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already found an answer to the problem by using the law of sines and the parallelogram rule
but I would like to know HOW to solve it by breaking it into vector components, I am not quite sure where to start in order to solve it in this manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of the ropes pulling the barge can be thought of as an vector because they have both a magnitude (the tension) and a direction.

A vector V of magnitude M and direction [itex]\theta[/itex] above the x-axis can be broken into components:
Vx = Mcos([itex]\theta[/itex])
Vy = Msin([itex]\theta[/itex])

For part a, the idea is that the horizontal components of the two tensions will add up to 5000 lb, while the vertical ones will cancel because they have opposite directions. Given this, you should be able to write down a system of equations and solve for the tensions.

so to find the x components I would do

5000 lb * Cos(30)
and 5000 lb * cos(45)

?

I'm still unsure how to find the magnitude of the original vectors : /

David Donald said:

5000 lb * Cos(30)
and 5000 lb * cos(45)

?
Not quite.

If the tensions in the ropes are called T1 and T2, then the sum of the horizontal components of each tension must equal 5000 lbs.

In other words, T1 ≠ T2 ≠ 5000 lbs.

David Donald said:

5000 lb * Cos(30)
and 5000 lb * cos(45)

?
First start by drawing your free body diagram. You have three forces. Figuring out what your angles are is easy when you have a diagram to look at.

The sum of the forces in the X direction add up to 5000 lbs so I have

Sum of Forces in X: Cos(30)* (Magnitude of 1) + cos(45) * (Magnitude of 2) = 5000lb

Sum of Forces in Y: Sin(30) * (Magnitude of 1) - Sin(45)*(Magnitude of 2) = 0

I'm not sure where to go from here...

EDIT: I'm really sorry Its been a while since I've done math/physics.

I DID IT I solved M2 and got 2600 lbs

What is the definition of "Particles Statics"?

Particle Statics is the branch of mechanics that studies the equilibrium of particles under the action of forces. It deals with the analysis of forces acting on particles at rest, and the determination of their resulting displacement and tension.

How is tension in ropes calculated in particle statics?

In particle statics, tension in ropes is calculated using the equations of equilibrium. The sum of all forces acting on a particle in the x,y, and z directions must equal zero in order for the particle to be in equilibrium. By solving for the unknown tension forces in each rope, their values can be determined.

What is the significance of angle alpha in particle statics?

Angle alpha is the angle between two ropes or cables that are connected at a common point. In particle statics, it is important because it affects the magnitude of the tension forces in the ropes. The larger the angle, the greater the tension forces will be.

What are some real-life applications of particle statics?

Particle statics has many real-life applications, including analyzing the forces acting on bridges and other structures, determining the tension in cables and ropes used in cranes and elevators, and designing support systems for buildings and other structures.

How does the addition or removal of a rope affect tension in particle statics?

In particle statics, adding or removing a rope can affect the tension forces in the other ropes connected to the same particle. This is because the addition or removal of a rope changes the angles between the ropes, which in turn changes the magnitude of the tension forces.