1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics of rigib bodies

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Calculate the support reactions at B and E for the 9m length beam shown below.
    I have the answers at 4.71KN and 1.79KN but it is old work that i am revising and i cant remember how i got to them. One of the supports not being at the end is throwing me off. If anyone could show a rough working out it would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should refresh your memory on the 3 equilibrium equations
    [itex]\Sigma F_x = 0, \Sigma F_y = 0,[/itex] and [itex] \Sigma M_{any-point} = 0 [/itex].

There is nothing going on in the x direction, so you just need the last 2 equations. The reaction forces must add up to the applied loads; but the key is summing moments about a point = 0 (hint: choose one of the reaction points as your point to sum moments about. Watch plus/minus signs).

Please show an attempt at a solution for further assistance.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Hi thanks for your reply

I have (-1500 x 2) + (-3000 x 4) + (-2000 x 9) + 7B = 0
    -33000 + 7B + E= 0
    B = 33000/7
    B = 4714N

I dont know where to go next to calculate E?

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, good. For E, the sum of forces in the vertical y direction must be zero. That will give you E. You can also find E by summing moments about B. That serves as a good check on your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook