Solve Statics on a Ramp: Find Cable Force & Pin Hinge A

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cable force and determining the components of the pin hinge for a ramp that weighs 200 lb. The solution involves setting up equations for equilibrium and moments. The textbook provides an answer for the cable force, and the solution 2 has been completed. The conversation also mentions an illustration for clarification.
kahless2005
Given: A ramp which is sitting as illustrated below. The ramp weighs 200 lb.
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8601/problem523fe4.th.png

Find 1: Cable force (line CD) so that the reaction at point B=0.
Find 2: Determine the Horizontal and vertical components of pin hinge at point A

Solution: I know that all the forces lie in the y-direction.
I believe I have found the usual tension in tha cable to be 173.2 lb.
I know that all the forces will be in the y-direction.

How do I set up the equation?

(Answer from textbook: F(CD) = 195 lb.)

Solution 2: done.
A(x) = 97.5 lb.
A(y) = 33.4 lb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An illustration would be great.

I have one, look again

kahless2005 said:
I have one, look again

I don't see anything, unless there's something wrong with my computer. Anyway, the same old story regarding statics - set up the equations of equilibrium for every direction and see what you get. Also, the sum of all moments with respect to any point must equal zero, which may help too, perhaps.

1. What is statics and how is it related to ramps?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium. It is related to ramps because ramps are inclined planes that are commonly used to lift or lower heavy objects, and understanding the principles of statics is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of these structures.

2. How do I find the cable force on a ramp?

To find the cable force on a ramp, you need to use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero. This means that the force exerted by the cable must be equal and opposite to the weight of the object on the ramp. You can use trigonometry to calculate the force of the cable by breaking it down into horizontal and vertical components.

3. What is a pin hinge and why is it important in solving statics on a ramp?

A pin hinge is a type of joint that allows for rotation between two connected objects. In the context of a ramp, a pin hinge is used to connect the ramp to a support structure, such as a wall or a platform. It is important in solving statics on a ramp because it helps to determine the reaction forces at the hinge, which are essential in calculating the forces acting on the ramp.

4. Can I use the same method to solve statics on any type of ramp?

Yes, the principles of statics can be applied to any type of ramp, whether it is a simple inclined plane or a more complex structure. The key is to identify all the forces acting on the ramp, including the weight of the object, the force of the cable, and the reaction forces at the hinge, and then use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

5. What are the potential sources of error when solving statics on a ramp?

Some potential sources of error when solving statics on a ramp include not considering all the forces acting on the ramp, not using accurate values for the weight of the object or the angle of the ramp, and not taking into account the effects of friction. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use accurate measurements to minimize these errors.