1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics on Car Wheel

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/a/IYbP1
    A Car sitting on a frame with an attached bar pressing down on the hinged section (Orange). A hinged section coming off the frame with a wheel attached (Blue)

How to calculate the radial force on the wheel bearing at 1m away from centre of engine?

2. Relevant equations
    Statics, sum of the directions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have split the engine weight into 2 and multiplied by the distance 1m to get 250kg.m

If I multiply 250kg by 9.81N I get 2.452kN of force.
    I'm negating the bar pushing down because that will be set equal to the Fxd at that location, so I can ignore that for the wheel location?

How is 250kgm equal to 250kg even though it's 1m away? How do I convert this properly to get a force?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you explain why you calculated the torque? The torque would be trying to bend the frame and would be resisted by equal internal forces.

How about drawing a free body diagram just showing all the external forces?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted