Where to Find Statics Practice Problems for Physics Re-Test Preparation?

In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for a physics re-test on Statics and looking for practice problems. The student shares their experience with the first test and asks for help with specific problems. Another student offers assistance and helps the first student solve the problems. The final answer is 467 N.
Shay10825
Hi I have a Physics re-test tomorrow on Statics. Since everyone failed the 1st statics test he is going to let us take another one (he's really nice :smile: ). It is not going to be like the 1st one. Where can I get some statics practice problems?? I'm doing ALL of the problems in the book but 95% of the time he does not put problems on the test like the 1s in the book (that's one of the reasons I did not do so well on the 1st test).

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What level physics are you in?

AP Physics B

Okay straight from my physics B statics test:

1. A uniform 20.0 kg, 10.0m long beam is supported by two posts. Post A is 1.00m from an end of the beam and post B is 4.00m from the other end. A 15.00 kg cat sits on the beam directly above post B.
a)Calculate the force exerted by post A on the beam
b)Calculate force exerted by post B on the beam.
c)How far can the cat walk toward the end of the board before the board tips. The beam is not fastened to the posts.

2. A 50.0 kg uniform sign is hung from a 20.0 kg, 4.00m long uniform beam supported by a wall and a wire. The sign is a square 3.00m on a side and is hung so that the end of the sign is even with the end of the beam. The wire makes an angle of 30 degrees with the wall.
a)Find the tension in the wire.
b)Find the force exerted by the wall on the beam.

3. A 5.00m long 20.0 kg uniform ladder leans against a wall so that the top of the ladder is 4.00 m above the ground. Assume no friction between wall and ladder.
a) What force is exerted by the wall on the ladder?
b) What force is exerted by the ground on the ladder?
c)What minimum coefficient of friction between ground and ladder is required to keep the system static.

Last edited:
Skomatth said:
2. A 50.0 kg uniform sign is hung from a 20 kg, 4.00m long uniform beam supported by a wall and a wire. The sign is a square 3.00m on a side and is hung so that the end of the sign is even with the end of the beam. The wire makes an angle of 30 degrees with the wall.
a)Find the tension in the wire.
b)Find the force exerted by the wall on the beam.

a.) (20.9g)(4)+(50g)(3)+8(t)=0
t=286.16
b.) 286.16+ (20.9g)+(50g)+fwall = 0
fwall= 980.98

Last edited:
Sorry typed some wrong numbers, look at my editted post. Anyway you're not doing the problem right, I'll get back to you on that in a second.

Skomatth said:
3. A 5.00m long 20.9 kg uniform ladder leans against a wall so that the top of the ladder is 4.99 m above the ground. Assume no friction between wall and ladder.
a) What force is exerted by the wall on the ladder?
b) What force is exerted by the ground on the ladder?
c)What minimum coefficient of friction between ground and ladder is required to keep the system static.

a) (Fwall)(4.99)+(5)(20.9g)=0
Fwall = 205.23
b) 205.23+(20.9g) + fn = 0
c) i really don't have a clue

Ok Torque counterclockwise = Torque clockwise. Is this what you're trying to do?

Pick a point to sum your torques around. I'd suggest the point where the beam touches the wall, since you don't yet know the force that the wall exerts on the beam. The beams weight acts down from the center of the beam. You have the center of mass of the sign right. The wire isn't perpendicular to the beam so only the vertical component of the tension is going to be producing torque. Remember Toque is the cross product of force and the radius vectors.

Note that the wire is attached to the beam's end opposite the wall.

Skomatth said:
Ok Torque counterclockwise = Torque clockwise. Is this what you're trying to do?

Yeah

Would I do:

(20g)(2) +(50g)(3)+ 8T = 0
t= 232.75

Sorry for not reading your first post correctly but 3m isn't the cm of the sign and where is the 8 coming from?

Woops that is suppose to be 40. I did the math wrong. That is the length of the wire.

cos 60 = 20/h
h = 40

So would the answer be

(20g)(2) +(50g)(1.5)+ 40T = 0
t= 28.175

Torque= the cross product of F and R
Cross product is always F*R * sine of the lesser included angle.
So the torque from the wire is [tex] Tsin(60) * 4m [/tex] The length of the wire is irrevelant here.

Skomatth said:
Torque= the cross product of F and R
Cross product is always F*R * sine of the lesser included angle.
So the torque from the wire is [tex] Tsin(60) * 4m [/tex] The length of the wire is irrevelant here.

Is T the force?? If so would T be 20*9.8?

Last edited:
what would you do with the 50 kg block?

2(20g)+ (4)(50g) = 4Tsin 60
t= 678.96

Very close. You have everything correct except the radius for the sign. It's 3m long so where is its center of mass. How far away from the center of rotation is the center of mass?

It's center of mass is at 1.5 right? So what would I do with the 1.5?

The center of mass is 1.5m away from the edge of the sign as you stated. The sign is attached one end to the 4m mark and one end to the 1m mark.

2(20g)+ (4)(50g) + (5.5)(50g)= 4Tsin 60
t=1456.94

The rod is 4m long. 0-------1---------2---------3--------4

Sign is attached at 1 and at 4.

I don't know. I give up :frown:

What's the answer?

Tsin(60)*4 = 50g*2.5 + 20g* 2

T=467 N

thanks for your help :smile:

What is the purpose of practicing statics problems?

The purpose of practicing statics problems is to develop a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts of statics, which is the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. By solving problems, scientists can apply these principles to real-world situations and make accurate predictions about the behavior of structures and systems.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in statics?

To improve problem-solving skills in statics, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of problems and seeking guidance from experienced scientists or professors. Additionally, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps can make them easier to solve.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving statics problems?

One common mistake when solving statics problems is not considering all the forces acting on an object, including external forces and internal forces within the object. Another mistake is not properly setting up free body diagrams or not including all the variables and equations that are needed to solve the problem. It is also important to check units and conversions to ensure that the final answer is in the correct units.

How can I check if my answer to a statics problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a statics problem is correct, you can use the equations and principles you used to solve the problem and plug in your values to see if they match the answer you calculated. You can also compare your answer to the solution provided by the problem or ask a colleague or professor to review your work.

What are some real-world applications of statics?

Statics has many real-world applications, including designing and analyzing structures such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. It is also used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. The principles of statics are also important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.