1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Problem with Trusses HELP PLEASE!

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Hi, I have a, I believe simple, problem. I am studying for a Statics final and while doing problems with a Truss I came to a problem that I did not know how to solve. It is already solved for me, but I do not get how. The truss has a force coming out from the side but instead of an angle there is a right triangle. I do not understand how to use the triangle. I will upload a picture of the problem and the answer. If anyone can help me understand how the triangle is being used to compute the problem I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!!

For example I do not understand where or why they get (4/5)Tcd or 130(12/13)

Direct Link:: http://i.imgur.com/ee9zP.jpg

ee9zP.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    oh nvm i think i got it, 3, 4 , 5 triangle!

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Shouldn't you be familiar with basic trigonometry in order to deal with statics? What are the relations in a right triangle?

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    I think you need to do some revision before your final. Look up the ratios of sine, cosine and tan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook