Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Statics Problem with Trusses HELP PLEASE!

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Hi, I have a, I believe simple, problem. I am studying for a Statics final and while doing problems with a Truss I came to a problem that I did not know how to solve. It is already solved for me, but I do not get how. The truss has a force coming out from the side but instead of an angle there is a right triangle. I do not understand how to use the triangle. I will upload a picture of the problem and the answer. If anyone can help me understand how the triangle is being used to compute the problem I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!!

For example I do not understand where or why they get (4/5)Tcd or 130(12/13)

Direct Link:: http://i.imgur.com/ee9zP.jpg

ee9zP.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    oh nvm i think i got it, 3, 4 , 5 triangle!

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Shouldn't you be familiar with basic trigonometry in order to deal with statics? What are the relations in a right triangle?

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    I think you need to do some revision before your final. Look up the ratios of sine, cosine and tan.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook