1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    hey all. I'm having problems with what should be a simple statics problem.

"The Magnitude of force F is 80.0 N. What are the madnitude of its components a) F\ab and b) F\ac that are paralell to the bars AB and AC respectively."

The picture: Force F pointing straight down. bar AB pointing 30 left of straight up (NW), and and bar AC pointing 70 degrees left of straight up (NW also).

I know i need to use the dot product somehwhere, but I can't determine what i need to do it with respect to. But I did rotate the problem 90 degrees CCW, and had the resulting equation:

|80*F\ac|cos110 + |80*F\ab|cos150=0

additional question: will F\ab + F\ac = 80. When adding up all those forces this problem doesn't seem to be in static equallibrium....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2006 #2
    No, adding the force onto each bar will not equal the original force.

Each component part of your equation is right, but I do not understand why you are trying to add the components. When you see a force written as F=#i+#j, the 'i' and 'j' are 90 degrees apart.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?