Help Needed: Determine Bending Moment at 0.600m from Roller Support

In summary, you need to find the bending moment at a distance x from the roller support on the left hand side, using the principles of virtual work. The values are: F = 2kn, d=2.200m and x=0.600m.
laura001
hey every1... I'm really really stuck on this problem and unless i get it and a few others right I am going to fail my engineering statics course :( Any help would be apreciated so much...

The Question that goes with that diagram I've attatched is:

Determine the bending moment at a distance x from the roller support on the left hand side, using the principles of virtual work.

The values are: F = 2kn, d=2.200m and x=0.600m

thankyou

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 409
Engineering news on Phys.org
another I am not sure about:

Each of the two uniform hinged bars have a mass m and length L. Both bars are connected by hinge S and supported as shown. The structure is loaded by a mass of 4m, applied at the hinge S. Gravitational acceleration is g = 9.81m/s2.

m= 15kg
L=5.500m
angle theta= 130 degrees

Calculate the torque Ma (in Nm) required for equilibrium

Attachments

• Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 439
laura001 said:
hey every1... I'm really really stuck on this problem and unless i get it and a few others right I am going to fail my engineering statics course :( Any help would be apreciated so much...

The Question that goes with that diagram I've attatched is:

Determine the bending moment at a distance x from the roller support on the left hand side, using the principles of virtual work.

The values are: F = 2kn, d=2.200m and x=0.600m

thankyou

The attachment isn't working, but I can give you some directions. If the system has zero degrees of freedom (i.e. it's not a mechanism), you should make it a mechanism by putting a hinge at the point where you need to find the bendig moment (0.6 m). Draw a displacement sketch of that mechanism, so that you make the hinge rotate for a unit angle, and calculate all the displacement on the places of the loads (i.e. the force F). Then use the principle of virtual work: 'The necessary and sufficient condition for the equilibrium of a rigid body is zero virtual work done by all external forces acting on the particle during any virtual displacement consistent with the constraints imposed on the body.' It's a bit stupid to explain this like I just have - in a 'half-blind' manner, but I hope it helps. :smile:

P.S. The bending moment M you need to find acts at the place of the inserted hinge.

laura001 said:
hey thanks for the reply! if i put the diagrams on phototube can u maybe work them out please? i'd appreciate it so much, i usually don't do this but i have to have answers by 2moro which isn't long enough for me to learn about principles of virtual work...

Go ahead, I hope I'll be able to help.

1. What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the force that causes an object to bend or deform. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of application to the point of support.

2. How is the bending moment at a specific point determined?

The bending moment at a specific point can be determined by summing up the moments of all the forces acting on the object at that point. This can be done using the equation M = Fd, where M is the bending moment, F is the force, and d is the distance from the point of application to the point of support.

3. What is the importance of determining the bending moment?

Determining the bending moment is important in understanding the structural integrity of an object. It helps engineers and scientists design and analyze structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting upon them without breaking or deforming.

4. What information is needed to determine the bending moment at a specific point?

To determine the bending moment at a specific point, you will need to know the forces acting on the object, their magnitudes, and their distances from the point of support. This information can be obtained through measurements or calculations.

5. How is the bending moment affected by the distance from the point of support?

The bending moment is directly proportional to the distance from the point of support. This means that the farther the point of application is from the point of support, the greater the bending moment will be. This is why it is important to determine the bending moment at different points along a structure to ensure it can withstand varying forces.