Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

STATICS problem

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    hey every1... i'm really really stuck on this problem and unless i get it and a few others right im gonna fail my engineering statics course :( Any help would be apreciated so much...

The Question that goes with that diagram i've attatched is:

Determine the bending moment at a distance x from the roller support on the left hand side, using the principles of virtual work.

The values are: F = 2kn, d=2.200m and x=0.600m

thankyou

Attached Files:

• Q1.jpg
      Q1.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    another im not sure about:

Each of the two uniform hinged bars have a mass m and length L. Both bars are connected by hinge S and supported as shown. The structure is loaded by a mass of 4m, applied at the hinge S. Gravitational acceleration is g = 9.81m/s2.

m= 15kg
    L=5.500m
    angle theta= 130 degrees

Calculate the torque Ma (in Nm) required for equilibrium

Attached Files:

• Q2.jpg
      Q2.jpg
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

The attachment isn't working, but I can give you some directions. If the system has zero degrees of freedom (i.e. it's not a mechanism), you should make it a mechanism by putting a hinge at the point where you need to find the bendig moment (0.6 m). Draw a displacement sketch of that mechanism, so that you make the hinge rotate for a unit angle, and calculate all the displacement on the places of the loads (i.e. the force F). Then use the principle of virtual work: 'The necessary and sufficient condition for the equilibrium of a rigid body is zero virtual work done by all external forces acting on the particle during any virtual displacement consistent with the constraints imposed on the body.' It's a bit stupid to explain this like I just have - in a 'half-blind' manner, but I hope it helps. :smile:

P.S. The bending moment M you need to find acts at the place of the inserted hinge.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Go ahead, I hope I'll be able to help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?