Troubleshooting Math Problem - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a physics problem and receiving guidance on how to properly use the sum of forces in the x direction. They also thank the person for their assistance and express their appreciation for the website.
Matt1234
1. The problem and attempt statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2530/lastscanph.jpg

I have been at this problem for a while and i can't seem to find where i am going wrong, can someone please take a look at it.
thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matt1234 said:
1. The problem and attempt statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been at this problem for a while and i can't seem to find where i am going wrong, can someone please take a look at it.
thank you for your time.
Say hey, Matt, I'd like to first congratulate you on your 100th post! :approve:.

Another 20,000 more and you'll catch up to our beloved Doc Al:smile:

Your calculation for FAB is excellent. But you get into trouble when you choose the beam as the x-axis when using sum of forces in x direction = 0. Keep the x-axis as the horizontal axis. Then the weight of the beam and the weight of the load, which act vertically down, have no x components. Only the tension cable force and the R horizontal reaction force (Rx) have x components. And the x component of FAB will be ?

Thank you very Jay, this is a fantastic site.
I followed your suggestion, and finally got the answer. Thank you for your help :)

1. What is the first step to troubleshoot a math problem?

The first step to troubleshooting a math problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure you know what is being asked and what information is given.

2. How can I check my work while troubleshooting a math problem?

You can check your work by plugging in your solution into the original problem or by using a calculator to double-check your calculations.

3. What should I do if I am stuck while troubleshooting a math problem?

If you are stuck, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try using a different approach or asking for help from a teacher or classmate.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes while troubleshooting a math problem?

To avoid making mistakes, be sure to write out each step of your problem and make sure to double-check your work. Also, avoid rushing through the problem and take your time to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any helpful tips for troubleshooting math problems?

Some helpful tips for troubleshooting math problems include checking your work at each step, using different strategies to solve the problem, and practicing regularly to improve your math skills.