Finding Friction in Equilibrium Rod on Ball

In summary, the problem describes a rod of mass m and length l lying on a ball of radius R in equilibrium at an angle θ with the horizontal. There is friction at every point of contact, assumed to be large enough to hold the system in equilibrium. The goal is to find the friction between the surface and the ball. The individual steps taken to solve the problem include drawing the components in isolation, using the fact that the sum of forces and moments is 0, and analyzing the forces and moments acting on the rod and the ball. Ultimately, the direction and signs of the components of forces were found to be incorrect, leading to an incorrect result.
crom1
Hi guys. I have one problem from competition that I can't solve. I'll try to translate it.

"rod of mass m and length l is lying on a ball of radius R in state of equilibrium. The rod makes angle θ with the horizontal. There is friction in every point of contact, and it's assumed that it is large enough to hold the system in equilibrium. Find the friction between surface and a ball.

I tried to sketch it in sketch toy, it looks like this: http://sketchtoy.com/55802563

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram appears to have the rod touching the ground - is this what the problem describes?

Please show us your best attempt with your reasoning at each stage.
The approach to these is almost always the same - draw each component in isolation and draw the linear forces at their points of action on each in turn.

Yes, the rod is touching the ground. So, my attempt is :
Just to say that the length of a rod is not given but it's easy to find it over R and θ. l=Rcot(θ/2)
And the mass is not given but linear density ρ( I think) so m=ρl

Okay I first started with the fact that if the system is in equilibrium that the sum of forces and moments is 0.
First for rod : ƩF=0
Forces acting on rod are gravitational force from middle of a rod mg,friction between rod and surface, and force that the ball is acting on the rod, let call it Fr(Newtons 3rd law, its normal on the rod)
Now in x and y directions I get

ƩFx=Frsinθ-fr (fr- friction)
ƩFy=mg-Frcosθ (1)

For the ball

ƩFx=Frsinθ-fr-frcosθ
ƩFy=Mg-N-Frcosθ ( N is the force that surface is acting on the ball)

ƩM (sum of moments should be 0)
for rod
mg cosθ *l/2=Nl (2)

for ball fr*R=fr*R so frictions between rod and ball and ball and surface are the same.

But from (1) I get mg=Frcosθ, and from (2) mg=2Fr/cosθ, which leads to contradiction, so obviously I am doing something wrong. Hope you can me show me what.

Last edited:
crom1 said:
Yes, the rod is touching the ground. So, my attempt is :
Just to say that the length of a rod is not given but it's easy to find it over R and θ. l=Rcot(θ/2)
And the mass is not given but linear density ρ( I think) so m=ρl

Okay I first started with the fact that if the system is in equilibrium that the sum of forces and moments is 0.
First for rod : ƩF=0
Forces acting on rod are gravitational force from middle of a rod mg,friction between rod and surface, and force that the ball is acting on the rod, let call it Fr(Newtons 3rd law, its normal on the rod)
Did you remember: reaction on rod from the floor, friction from ball and friction from the floor.

This may help talk about things:
Rod goes from A to B.
The center of the ball is at point C.
The Rod touches the ground at point A and the ball at point D.
The ball touches the ground at point E.

So you can define some lengths, eg.|AB|=l, |CD|=|CE|=R and describe relationships, eg.|AC|=|AE|, and so on.
The ball does not slide or roll ... the friction at point D ##f_D## opposes the rolling, and the friction at point E ##f_E## stops the sliding.

The triangle ADE may be useful to you here.

Ok. Rod goes from A to B. It touches the ball in point B ( so it ends where it touches the ball).
Center of the ball is in C and it touches the floor in point D.

Forces acting on the rod : gravitational force(mg), reaction from floor(N2, reaction from the ball(N1, friction in point B(fb), and friction in point A(fa.)

ƩF=0

ƩFx=0

fbcosθ+N1sinθ-fa+N2sinθ=0 ( we can't get anything from here)

ƩFy=mg-N1cosθ+fbsinθ-N2cosθ=0 (same here)

ƩM=0

mg cosθ *l/2=N1 ----> N1=(mgcosθ)/2

ƩM=0 on the ball

fb*R=fd*R ---> fb=fd

ƩF=0

ƩFy= Mg-N3+fbsinθ-N1cosθ (can't get anything from here)

ƩFx=N1sinθ-fb-fbcosθ --->

fb=Nsinθ/(1+cosθ)=mgsinθcosθ/(2(1+cosθ)

(using m=ρl=Rρcot(θ/2) and fact that tan(θ/2)=sinθ/(1+cosθ) )

fb=1/2*(ρgRcosθ)

And by the way, did you had something particular in mind when you said "The triangle ADE may be useful to you here." ?

crom1 said:
Ok. Rod goes from A to B. It touches the ball in point B ( so it ends where it touches the ball).
Center of the ball is in C and it touches the floor in point D.

Forces acting on the rod : gravitational force(mg), reaction from floor(N2, reaction from the ball(N1, friction in point B(fb), and friction in point A(fa.)

ƩF=0

ƩFx=0

fbcosθ+N1sinθ-fa+N2sinθ=0 ( we can't get anything from here)

What is the direction of N2 ? Does it have a component in x-direction?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
What is the direction of N2 ? Does it have a component in x-direction?

Yes, it does N2 sinθ, it says there. I could be wrong but I made the direction of N1 the same as N2, that is normal on the rod.

crom1 said:
Yes, it does N2 sinθ, it says there. I could be wrong but I made the direction of N1 the same as N2, that is normal on the rod.

That is incorrect .The direction of N2 i.e normal force on the rod from the floor is vertically upwards .

Tanya Sharma said:
That is incorrect .The direction of N2 i.e normal force on the rod from the floor is vertically upwards .

Thanks for your correction, I'll keep that in mind next time but I don't think that affects the final result.

crom1 said:
Thanks for your correction, I'll keep that in mind next time but I don't think that affects the final result.

The signs of the components of forces are also wrong.

1) What is the direction of friction on the bottom tip of the rod from the floor?
2) What is the direction of friction on the upper tip of the rod from the ball?

Assume rightwards direction to be +x, and vertically downwards to be +y.What is the equation of forces acting in the x-direction on the rod ?What is the equation of forces acting in the y-direction on the rod ?

1.)to the right,+x direction

2.)In the line of a rod, so it has x and y components.

crom1 said:
O

ƩF=0

ƩFx=0

fbcosθ+N1sinθ-fa=0 ( we can't get anything from here)

ƩFy=mg-N1cosθ+fbsinθ-N2=0 (same here)
)

You are messing up with the signs.

Please upload a picture clearly marking all the forces.

It would be something like this. http://sketchtoy.com/55942979

If it's still unclear how I marked the forces acting on the rod, I'll write it on a paper and then post it.
Thanks for you time, Tanya.

Oops it seems that I marked friction f_b in wrong direction..

Yes...the direction of fb is opposite to what you have marked in the figure.

What about the sign of component of normal force from the ball ,on the rod in x-direction ? From the figure it looks in the -x direction .But in your equation it is positive.

Please reconsider your two equations and write them again (force equations on the rod in x and y direction)

1. How do you determine the amount of friction in an equilibrium rod on ball system?

The amount of friction can be determined by measuring the force required to keep the rod in equilibrium on the ball. This force will be equal and opposite to the force of friction acting on the rod.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction in this system?

The factors that affect the amount of friction include the weight of the rod, the type of surface the rod is resting on, and the type of material the ball and rod are made of.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated in an equilibrium rod on ball system?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force acting on the rod. This value is a constant that depends on the materials in contact and can be found in reference tables.

4. Can the amount of friction be reduced in this system?

Yes, the amount of friction can be reduced by using a lubricant between the rod and ball or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the rod can also decrease the amount of friction.

5. How does friction affect the stability of the equilibrium rod on ball system?

Friction plays a crucial role in the stability of this system. Without friction, the rod would not be able to maintain equilibrium on the ball and would slide off. Therefore, the amount of friction must be carefully considered to ensure the system remains stable.