Calculating Stability: Finding the Tipping Point of a Table

In summary, at the point of tipping, the person's weight would be 152.88 kg more than if they sat at the edge of the table.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=72501&d=1409176178.jpg

How close to the edge of the 26.0-kg table shown in the figure (Figure 1) can a 64.0-kg person sit without tipping it over?

Homework Equations

∑F = 0 ∑T = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

forces A (left leg) and B (right leg) are the forces from the two legs of the table and x is the distance of the person from the right edge of the table (what i am trying to find)

∑F = A +B - 26g - 64g = 0
= A + B = 90g
= A + B = 882

for the torques I chose leg A as the pivot point

∑T = -(.6)26g + (1.2)B -[(1.7-x)64g] = 0
= -15.6g + 1.2B - (108.8g-x64g) = 0
= -15.6g + 1.2B -108.8g + x64g = 0
= -152.88 +1.2B -1066.24 +627.2x = 0
= 1.2B + 627.2x = 1219.12

I have 2 equations but 3 unknowns. What am I missing here? please help :(

Attachments

• tablestatics.jpg
    tablestatics.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,375
Likes Irfan Nafi
Physics news on Phys.org
Choosing A as pivot point indicates to me that you are after a value of x in the interval [1.7, 2.2] . At the point of tipping, what can you say about FB ?

BvU said:
Choosing A as pivot point indicates to me that you are after a value of x in the interval [1.7, 2.2] . At the point of tipping, what can you say about FB ?

The point of tipping? When it lifts off the ground? It would become 0 right? because the normal force is no longer pushing back up from the ground? But I thought I was not allowed to set it to 0 because I DONT want the table to tip?

Likes Irfan Nafi
If you don't like the 0, you set it to 10-20 or something, and then take the limit to zero.
As long as it's > 0 no tipping.
How realistic do you want this to be ? The legs don't rest on spike tips, etc, etc.

Likes 1 person
I wasnt trying to be difficult. I thought about it more and I understand what you are saying now. Thanks.

I know. Glad to be able to help.

1. How do I solve a statics table problem?

To solve a statics table problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the table. This includes the weight of the table, any external forces such as a person sitting on the table, and any support forces from the ground or other objects. Next, you will need to draw a free-body diagram and apply the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the horizontal and vertical directions must equal zero. By setting up and solving equations, you can determine the magnitude and direction of each force acting on the table.

2. What are the key concepts in a statics table problem?

The key concepts in a statics table problem include equilibrium, which is the balance of forces, and Newton's laws of motion, which govern the relationship between forces and motion. In addition, the concept of center of gravity is important, as it determines the point at which the table will remain in equilibrium. Other concepts such as vectors, forces, and moments are also relevant to solving a statics table problem.

3. How do I determine the support forces in a statics table problem?

To determine the support forces in a statics table problem, you will need to consider the type of support, whether it is fixed or pinned, and the reaction forces that result from this support. For example, in a fixed support, there will be both a vertical and horizontal reaction force, while in a pinned support, there will only be a vertical reaction force. These support forces can be determined by setting up and solving equations based on the principles of equilibrium.

4. What happens if the forces in a statics table problem are not in equilibrium?

If the forces in a statics table problem are not in equilibrium, the table will experience a net force and will either accelerate or rotate. This means that the table will not remain in a state of rest, and instead, there will be motion. To ensure equilibrium, it is important to carefully consider all forces acting on the table and apply the principles of equilibrium to determine the necessary support forces.

5. Are there any real-world applications of statics table problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of statics table problems. For example, engineers use statics principles to design structures such as bridges and buildings, ensuring that they can withstand the forces acting on them. Statics is also used in the fields of mechanics, physics, and even sports, as it helps to determine the forces and movements involved in different activities. Understanding statics is crucial for many practical applications in everyday life and in various scientific and engineering fields.