Finding Forces Acting on Member ABE: A Conceptual Question

In summary, the question is asking for the components of all forces acting on member ABE. The equations used for this problem can be found on the attachment. The attempt at solving the problem involved finding moments about E and F, with the reaction at E being correct. However, a conceptual question arose about the reaction at C, which is a pin in a slot. It was determined that the reaction at C must be perpendicular to the side of the slot to prevent sliding. The question then shifted to finding reaction Ax, Ex, and Bx on members ACF, with the answer for Ax being 2025N leftward.
ME_student

Homework Statement

Find the components of all forces acting on member ABE.

Homework Equations

Equations I used are on attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

I found moments about E and F. My reaction at E is correct. I just have a conceptual question about the reaction at C.

The reaction is a external force or internal at C and is it at an angle circles on attachment or straight? I want to say an external force at an angle.

Attachments

• img143.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 237
Physics news on Phys.org
ME_student said:

Homework Statement

Find the components of all forces acting on member ABE.

Homework Equations

Equations I used are on attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

I found moments about E and F. My reaction at E is correct. I just have a conceptual question about the reaction at C.

The reaction is a external force or internal at C and is it at an angle circles on attachment or straight? I want to say an external force at an angle.

Since C is a pin in a slot, I think the reaction there must be a force acting perpendicular to the side of the slot. Any force component acting tangentially will just cause the pin to slide up or down along the direction of the slot.

Yes, it is perpendicular to the side of the slot. I got it worked out., but now I am stuck on another part of the problem. I need to find Reaction Ax, Ex and Bx. On members ACF will there be a reaction that will occur where the slot is or does that need to go away? I am taking moments about F to try to get Reaction Ax but I don't obtain the right answer. THe answer is 2025N leftward

Attachments

• img144.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 269
  • img145.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 250

1. What is the purpose of finding forces acting on Member ABE?

The purpose of finding forces acting on Member ABE is to understand the structural integrity and stability of the member. By knowing the forces acting on the member, engineers and scientists can design and construct structures that can withstand these forces without failure.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on Member ABE?

The forces acting on Member ABE can be determined by using Newton's laws of motion and applying the principles of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the external and internal forces acting on the member, such as tension, compression, and shear forces.

3. What are the factors that affect the forces acting on Member ABE?

The factors that affect the forces acting on Member ABE include the load applied to the member, the geometry and material properties of the member, and the support conditions. Other factors such as temperature changes and dynamic loads can also affect the forces acting on the member.

4. How does the direction of the forces affect Member ABE?

The direction of the forces acting on Member ABE is crucial in determining its stability and strength. Forces acting in the same direction as the member's axis, such as tension or compression, can increase its strength. However, forces acting perpendicular to the member's axis, such as shear forces, can weaken the member and lead to failure.

5. What are the real-world applications of finding forces acting on Member ABE?

Understanding the forces acting on Member ABE is essential in various fields such as civil engineering, architecture, and construction. This knowledge is crucial in designing and building structures that can withstand external and internal forces, ensuring the safety and stability of the structure and its occupants.