1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    BvXTmGH.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to calculate the tension of AB beam and the mass.
    The force of beam BC is 200N

2. Relevant equations

My work

5150926.jpg
    3. The attempt at a solution
    T=226.10
    M=25.01

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2
    Please write out your horizontal and vertical force balances on point B and your moment balance about point C.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3
    Sorry but I'm not understand you

5. Jan 11, 2016 #4

David Lewis

Gold Member

Looks like angle of vector BC is 40 degrees above horizontal, its magnitude is 200 N (pointing toward upper right), and it is equal and oposite to the vector sum of the weight and the tension force supplied by cable AC.

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5
    You're on a good way because you just simplified the problem in 2-D; then sum the x-components of the system and the y-components of the system by using trigonometry function and these two equations need to be equal to zero. Then that will become more simplier, and then you can find the answer.

7. Apr 8, 2016 #6
    Think about it as a truss with a single triangle. Now you can use the method of moments, the method of joints, or a free body diagram method. All are available on the web and aren't difficult.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted