1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics question about moments

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the components of the force at D and C using moments

picture attached

2. Relevant equations

M=F x r

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really stuck on this one. The force from the 70 kg weight is 70*9.8 = 686N, so F=-686j. I found the moment about point C to be Mc=1715k. After that, I'm not sure where to go. I'm also really thrown off by the white line that's at a 60° angle below the x axis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    It looks to me that the white line is an arrow representing the force required to keep the device in equilibrium. Does that help?

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Yes, it does help thank you. I still don't know where to go from here though. I guess I'm not really sure how the moment about C would translate into components of force.

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4
    Well, do you not know enough to be able to calculate the white force itself, even if you don't know its components?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook