1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics question: calculate forces and reactions in tow-truck problem

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A lifting mechanism is mounted on the back of a truck as shown: Calculate the forces in each member and the reactions @ A & B for alpha=0

2. Relevant equations

Sum of moments about A=0:
    0=(5000N)(1m)+(-5000N)(-1.25m)+(By)(.5m)
    By=2500N

3. The attempt at a solution

I treated the entire assembly as a rigid body to get the force By above; that would make Ay=2500N, correct?

I have drawn the entire FDB in AutoCAD, and have found the following:

BD=6250N
    CD=3750N
    AB=2500N
    AC=5590.167N
    BC=5000N

I have attached a scan of the problem. Now, having said all of that, is my general thinking ok? We're supposed to be able to figure out the reactions @ A and B using the method of joints, but I'm having real trouble with that. I found the reactions by using moments around A and then summing my forces in the Y direction=0, and got my forces in the members by using trig, but I also need to figure out which members are in tension/compression, again, using method of joints. If someone could step me through finding the forces at any two joints, I think that in itself would be a very helpful start! Thanks in advance for any/all helpful replies

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?