Does the Bottom Hinge's Vertical Force on a Door Produce Torque?

• Thread starter hks118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, when the pivot point for measuring torques is considered to be the top hinge, the vertical component of the force exerted by the bottom hinge on the door does not produce a torque since the line of force goes through the pivot, resulting in a lever arm of zero. Therefore, there is no displacement in the x direction and no torque is generated.
hks118

Homework Statement

This is a part of a larger problem, but I'm unsure of one part.
Picture a door with its center of mass in its geometric center. The door is hanging on two hinges, one at the top and one at the bottom. If the pivot point while measuring torques is considered to be the top hinge, does the vertical component of the force that the bottom hinge exerts on the door produce and torque?

Homework Equations

Torque=force*lever arm

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it does because there is no displacement in the x direction from the pivot, but I'm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hks118! :smile:
hks118 said:
If the pivot point while measuring torques is considered to be the top hinge, does the vertical component of the force that the bottom hinge exerts on the door produce and torque?

I don't think it does because there is no displacement in the x direction from the pivot

That's correct … the "lever arm" is the distance of the pivot point from the line of force.

Here, the line of the force (the vertical component of the lower hinge reaction) goes through the pivot, so the distance is zero. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi hks118! :smile:

That's correct … the "lever arm" is the distance of the pivot point from the line of force.

Here, the line of the force (the vertical component of the lower hinge reaction) goes through the pivot, so the distance is zero. :wink:

Thanks! I can finish the problem in good conscience now

1. What is a torque in statics?

A torque in statics refers to the turning or twisting force that is applied to an object around a fixed axis. It is measured in units of Newton-meters (N⋅m) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do I calculate the torque of an object?

To calculate the torque of an object, you must first determine the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Then, multiply the force by the distance to get the torque. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torques?

Clockwise torques refer to forces that cause an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise torques cause the object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. This direction is determined by the direction in which the force is applied in relation to the axis of rotation.

4. What is the principle of moments in statics?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise torques must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise torques. This principle is used to solve problems involving torques and determine the state of equilibrium of an object.

5. How does the position of the axis of rotation affect torque?

The position of the axis of rotation affects torque because the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied is a crucial factor in calculating torque. The farther the distance, the greater the torque will be. Therefore, changing the position of the axis can significantly alter the torque on an object.