1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics question

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]

Here's a statics problem that I'm unsure about. The system is in static equilibrium, and I'm supposed to find the reaction forces.

{convention: right and up are taken as positive for x and y respectively, and counter-clockwise is positive for moment}

[tex]\sum F_{y} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]B_{y} = -1000N[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{x} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]A_{x} + B_{x} = 0[/tex]

Taking the sum of moment at the centre of the circular thingy
    [tex]\sum M_{z} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]0 = -0.05(A_{x}) + 0.05(B_{y}) - 0.25(1000)[/tex]

[tex]A_{x} = -6000 N[/tex]
    [tex]B_{x} = 6000 N[/tex]

I solved this problem assuming [tex]A_{y} = 0[/tex], by inspecting the diagram. Is that alright? In cases where it's not as obvious, how do I determine which reactions are not supposed to be considered? I think I must be neglecting something small.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

You can't just randomly consider a reaction force to be 0. I'm not sure how you inspected the diagram to come to that conclusion.

It comes down to you having 4 unknown reaction forces ([tex]A_x,A_y,B_x,B_y[/tex]) and only 3 equations of equilibrium ([tex]\sum F_{y} = 0[/tex], [tex]\sum F_{x} = 0[/tex],[tex]\sum M = 0[/tex]) Like you said, you have to find some other equation based on other information.

By looking closer at the diagram it appears as if point B is not physically attached to the circle. That would suggest that it is free to move vertically so [tex]B_y=0[/tex]. It's hard to say from that diagram though.

Does anyone have a second opinion?

(By the way, welcome to PF and thanks for showing your work and making it very clear)

Edit: Also, when you summed the forces in the y direction I think you missed a negative sign.

4. Jun 9, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you can assume that, infact I think the opposite, for the system to remain static Ay must be non zero. Perhaps I am wrong, could you post your thought processes.
    I would agree with you there dav. We can say that By = 0 if we assume that the system is frictionless, which seems like a reasnable assumtion as we are not given any coefficents. I am also assuming ofcourse that the spanner is light.

So now you have three unknowns and three equations. Happy Days :smile: I also would like to comend you on your post, all the required information was provided and it is presented in a clear logical fashion, a pleasure to read.

5. Jun 9, 2006 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Definetly agree with the replies, but i will also want to request the problem statement, maybe there's more info there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?