Statics Question: Finding Unknown Displacement on a Spring with 175N Force

• Thread starter kyin01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in each spring based on the given information. By taking components and considering the opposing forces on each end of the spring, the vertical forces were found to be 87.5 N on each side. However, there are no horizontal forces in this scenario. By plugging in the known force and solving for distance using the equation F=kx, a value of 0.175m was obtained, but it is unclear how this value relates to the problem at hand. The next step would be to determine the tension in each spring.
kyin01

Homework Statement

HW2PG1-1.jpg

Homework Equations

F=kx
and sum of all the vertical and horizontal forces each has to = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Because each end of the spring is like a pin it has an opposing force of 175/2 N on each end to balance out the 175N being pulled in the middle.
So I took at force and put it in the f=kx equation and solved for x. Which I got to be .175m but i don't see why I did made sense, but i have no idea how to begin this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kyin01 said:
Because each end of the spring is like a pin it has an opposing force of 175/2 N on each end to balance out the 175N being pulled in the middle.
So I took at force and put it in the f=kx equation and solved for x. Which I got to be .175m but i don't see why I did made sense, but i have no idea how to begin this

Hi kyin01! :smile:

Begin by calling the distance from the wall x, and taking components. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kyin01! :smile:

Begin by calling the distance from the wall x, and taking components. :wink:

ok i did that, there are no horizontal forces (and by horizontal i mean forces parallel with the wall).

As for vertical forces I found them to be 87.5 on each side of the pin opposing the direction of the pulling force

kyin01 said:
ok i did that, there are no horizontal forces (and by horizontal i mean forces parallel with the wall).

As for vertical forces I found them to be 87.5 on each side of the pin opposing the direction of the pulling force

ok … so what's the tension in each spring? :smile:

What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion, and the forces that act on them.

What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the overall change in an object's position from its initial position to its final position.

How do you find the unknown displacement on a spring with 175N force?

To find the unknown displacement on a spring with 175N force, you can use the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Rearrange the formula to solve for x: x = F/k. Plug in the given values to solve for x.

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, and it is represented by the letter k. It is a constant value that relates the force applied to a spring to the displacement of the spring.

Why is it important to find the unknown displacement on a spring?

Finding the unknown displacement on a spring is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. This information is crucial in designing structures and machines that rely on springs for their functionality.