1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics question

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1
    A uniform solid disk of mass M and radius R hangs from a string of length l attached to a smooth wall. We want the tension in the string and the normal force exerted by the wall.
    |
    |\ <--- I call this angle A
    |_\
    |__\
    |_(..) <--- that's a disk
    |
    |

So I have it set up so the tension points up and to the left, the normal exactly to the right and the weight exactly down. The answer appears to take the normal perpendicular to the tension, which quite confuses me. Anyway, I get
    TsinA=N
    TcosA=Mg
    so N=MgtanA
    and T=Mg/cosA

The book gets T=MgcosA
    and N=MgsinA

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2
    Change your coordinates to where T is straight up the vertical. This will give you the right answers.

4. Nov 30, 2003 #3
    I see that it works for the tension. Doesn't the normal have to be perpendicular to the wall? If it is then mgsinA is not N.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003
  5. Nov 30, 2003 #4
    Yep

mg*Sin(A) is perpendicular to wall.

6. Nov 30, 2003 #5
    Re: Yep

How can that be? There is no component of the weight that is perpendicular to the wall. MgsinA is perpendicular to the tension, which is not perpendicular to the wall.

7. Nov 30, 2003 #6
    y

Here is something to think about: In order for the system to remain static, what must the normal force be?

8. Nov 30, 2003 #7
    The normal force acts horizontally. In order for the system to have zero horizontal linear acceleration, the normal force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign to the sum of the other horizontal force. The weight acts down. Its horizontal component is 0. The tension has a horizontal component TsinA. We must have N-TsinA=0 or N=TsinA, which is not the correct result.
    I'm very confused. Why do I get different answers for the tension doing the problem two different ways? My way seems perfectly right and the book's way seems perfectly right.

9. Nov 30, 2003 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless I'm missing something, the magnitude of tension cannot be less than the weight of the disk, because tension is the only force opposing gravity.

(incidentally, is the string attached to the center of the disk?)

10. Nov 30, 2003 #9
    No. It's attached to the edge of the disk.
    So IOW, the book must be wrong?

11. Nov 30, 2003 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smooth walls can supply no frictional force to disks, right? If so, tension is the only force with an upwards component, and thus must be no less in magnitude than mg, so the book would have to be wrong...

12. Nov 30, 2003 #11

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what you mean by "attached to the edge". The line of the string, if extended, passes through the center of the disk, right? If not, the string would exert a torque on the disk, rotating it.

In any case, your thinking seems correct. The book's answer does not.

13. Dec 1, 2003 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Stephen, your picture seems to show the disk horizontal with, as yo say, the string at the edge. What keeps the disk from falling straight down? Is the disk attached to the wall also or is there a friction force there?

14. Dec 1, 2003 #13
    Yes.
    I'm sorry that description wasn't very clear. The string, if extended past the edge, would go through the center. You can say it is attached to the center if you wish without affecting the result, except for the fact that when I say the string has length l, I mean the distance from the edge of the disk to the wall where the string is attached is l. The distance to the center is l+R.

The wall is smooth, no friction.

I have spoken with my professor, and he is also confused by the book's answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?