1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics questions, help~

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    The first picture is the question picture.
    The second picture is my calculation for this questions.
    I can't find the correct answer, everybody know why?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You seem to be applying both maximum forces at the same time. It won't be the case that for a given load the maximum force occurs in both elements simultaneously; one will reach its maximum before other (but you can't tell which yet).

So, start by assuming that the maximum in the jib element is reached first. Set up static equilibrium equations and solve for the tension in the tie. Does it exceed its maximum? If not, find the load and this will be your maximum load. If it does, then clearly the tie maxes out first so redo the calculations beginning with the tie tension set to maximum.

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    supplementary one of my problems.
    Is't necessary the moment method to solve this questions?

Thanks

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It should be sufficient to realize that for stasis to hold, the sum of the forces acting at point C should be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook