Statics rigid body equilibrium

In summary, the person is asking for clarification on the meaning of couples on the x-axis and z-axis. They also mention having trouble solving a problem involving finding tensions in cables and summing moments around a point. They are not willing to retype everything for further help, but are encouraged to do so in order to receive assistance.
fayan77
What does it mean where it says it provides couples on x-axis and z axis?
Anyways what am I doing wrong?
my procedure is finding tension in cables by summing moments about point A. then with the tensions, finding reactions at A. However when i sum the moments about A I get 3 equations 2 unknowns and there is no solution to it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.00.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.00.46 PM.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
fayan77 said:
What does it mean where it says it provides couples on x-axis and z axis?
Did you mean to post an image of the text as well as the picture?
fayan77 said:
Anyways what am I doing wrong?
Cannot tell without seeing your attempt.
Please post it typed into the text area, not as an image.

this was for a quiz in class I'm not about to write everything out again.

fayan77 said:
this was for a quiz in class I'm not about to write everything out again.
So you'd rather continue being unable to solve this sort of problem?

What is statics rigid body equilibrium?

Statics rigid body equilibrium is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and torques acting on a rigid body at rest. It focuses on the analysis of forces and moments acting on a body to determine whether the body is in a state of equilibrium or not.

How is statics rigid body equilibrium different from dynamics?

The main difference between statics rigid body equilibrium and dynamics is that in statics, the object is at rest, while in dynamics, the object is in motion. Statics deals with the forces and moments acting on a body in a state of equilibrium, while dynamics deals with the forces and moments that cause changes in the motion of a body.

What are the main principles of statics rigid body equilibrium?

The main principles of statics rigid body equilibrium are Newton's First Law of Motion (Law of Inertia), Newton's Second Law of Motion (Law of Acceleration), and Newton's Third Law of Motion (Law of Action-Reaction). These laws help us understand how forces and moments affect the motion of a body.

How do you determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium?

A rigid body is in equilibrium when the sum of all forces acting on the body is zero, and the sum of all moments acting on the body is also zero. In other words, the body will not move or rotate if it is in equilibrium. This is known as the principle of the free body diagram, where all external forces and moments acting on the body are drawn and analyzed.

What are some real-life applications of statics rigid body equilibrium?

Some real-life applications of statics rigid body equilibrium include the design and construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of machines, such as cranes and elevators, to ensure they can safely lift and carry heavy loads. Additionally, statics is applied in the field of biomechanics to study human movement and balance.