1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics, Springs and Friction

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The unstretched length of a spring is 1.5 ft. What friction coefficient,μ, at A and C is needed so that P=500 lb would tend towards points A and C sliding outward? Given spring constant k=70 lb/ft

Diagram-
    Inverted triangle such that height is 4 ft to point B. Force P points directly down at the tip of triangle (point B). Width at base between points A and C is also 4 ft. Spring is located 1 ft off horizontal between two legs of triangle.

2. Relevant equations

Friction=μ*Normal force

F(spring)=kΔx=(70 lb/ft)Δx

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a free body diagram of half the system showing the P=500 lb downward, the spring force, the friction force and the normal force. Summing the forces in the y, I came to the Normal force equal to 500 lb. Then summing the forces in the x you have the friction force equal to the spring force. Here is where I get stuck. If you are trying to find μ what should the value of Δx be such that the system would tend towards sliding outward?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?