1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: Varying Force

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The jib crane is designed for a maximum capacity of 10kN, and its uniform I beam has a mass of 200kg.
    a)Plot the magnitude R of the force on the pin A as a function of x through its operating range of x=0.2m to x=3.8m.
    b)Determine the minimum value of R and the corresponding value of x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Totally stumped on this one. It'll be great if someone could point me in the right direction.
    I didn't even think the force would vary with distance :S. Isn't it only the moment about the point that changes? How do I determine the change in force with distance?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

The pin can only resist force in the y-direction due to the definition of a pin. This means that the resultant force at the pin will be the sum of all the forces in the y-direction. Obviously there is a constant -10kN due to the load, however the resultant force in the y-direction at the cable will be a function of the position.

Sum moments about the pin to get the vertical force in the cable. Then sum forces in the y-direction to get the force at the pin. Get three points to see if it's linear, if it is, then use the equation of a line.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?