1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary Einstein-Vlasov system

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    The time-independent Einstein-Vlasov system with the ansatz that every static spherically symmetric solution must have the form

[tex]
    f = \Phi(E,L)
    [/tex]

is as follows

[tex]

e^{\mu - \lambda} \frac{v}{\sqrt{1 + \abs{v}^2}}\cdot {\partial_xf}-{\sqrt{1 + \abs{v}^2}}e^{\mu - \lambda}\mu_r\frac{x}{r}\cdot {\partial_rf}=0

[/tex]

[tex]

e^{-2 \lambda}(2r \lambda_r -1) + 1 = 8 \pi r^2G_\Phi(r,\mu)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    e^{-2 \lambda}(2r \mu_r +1) - 1 = 8 \pi r^2H_\Phi(r,\mu)

[/tex]

where

[tex]

G_\Phi(r,\mu) = \frac{2\pi}{r^2}\int_{1}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{r^2(\epsilon^2-1)} \Phi(e^{\mu(r)\epsilon,L}) \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{\epsilon^2-1-L/r^2}}dL
    d\epsilon
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    H_\Phi(r,\mu) = \frac{2\pi}{r^2}\int_{1}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{r^2(\epsilon^2-1)} \Phi(e^{\mu(r)\epsilon,L}) \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{\epsilon^2-1-L/r^2}}dL
    d\epsilon

[/tex]

I have some very simple questions about this system. I have no background in general relativity.

1. f is a distrubtion function and describes the distribution of the particles(galaxies or clusters of galaxies), right?

2. What is

[tex]
    \mu, \lambda

[/tex]
    and

[tex]
    \epsilon?

[/tex]

Can you put any restrictions on these variables?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

Since your questions still remain unanswered, I will try to answer some, but you should know that my knowledge about this is very limited.

The non-relativistic equation (Vlasov equation) is used to model a collissionless gas without interactions between the particles (where the phase-space density is conserved). For example: dark matter before recombination, or, on a different scale, stars and galaxies in the current universe, etc. E. Bertschinger gives a nice explanation of this in chapters 3.2 and 3.3 of Cosmological Dynamics. I assume that the relativistic Einstein-Vlasov equation can be used for the same purpose, but, honestly, I have never seen this before.

These parameters seam to be the ones which are used to define a spherical symmetric metric, when written with exponentials as shown e.g. here (but this is only a guess).

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Google has a number of hits on the Eintstein-Vlassov system, which I'd never head of before either, so I'm fairly sure that it is the relativistic description of a colissionless gas, and that f is indeed a distribution function.

I would also guess that mu and lambda are components of the metric.

I also wanted to give anyone who might know more than I do a chance to answer first.

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    Thank you for your answers! :smile:

the links were helpfull.
    I think i need to get some book which explains gen. relativity and this system in a simple way.
    If anybody know about such a book plz tell me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?