Space Stationary Orbit: Possible to Park Ship for 1 Year?

• B
  • Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, it is not possible to park a ship halfway between Earth and moon and stay there for about a year and watch the Earth and moon go around the sun and comeback to the same place you are.
tionis
Gold Member
Is it possible to park a ship say halfway between the Earth and the moon and stay there for about a year and watch the Earth and moon go around the sun and comeback to the same place you are?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Where is "there"? You mean without orbiting the sun? It would have to fire its rocket engines constantly in order to avoid falling towards the sun. The amount of fuel needed would be completely unrealistic.

"There" is not a good description - there are no absolute positions in space, and "at rest" doesn't make sense without specifying a reference frame first.

Likes tionis
Yes. I don't want to orbit the sun. I just want to stay in the same place where I stationed the ship and watch the moon and the Earth slowly drift away from me, make their trip around the sun, and comeback to the same place i am.

Your assumptions need changing.

Well, you need to consider that the solar system as a whole has a large velocity relative to the Milky Way as well. The simple answer is: we cannot afford to spend the entire Gross Domestic Product of the Earth's economy for 5 years on a project like this. mfb explained it: too much cost for fuel is a big concern.

Likes tionis
No, relativity doesn't say that. If you don't use thrust, you won't feel any acceleration, but you will crash into the Sun after ~2 months. You can call that "the Sun crashes into me" - that is the freedom relativity gives you. It still means you'll die.

Likes stoomart and tionis
tionis said:
Why do I have to spend any fuel? Relativity says that I can consider myself to be at rest and the sun and the Earth can orbit me.

You have to expend fuel because you are no longer orbiting the Sun and have to perform work against gravity to keep from falling towards it. If you choose to describe things as if the Sun and Earth are orbiting you, then you still need to expend fuel to accelerate away from them as they "fall towards you".

Likes tionis
Yeah. That makes sense. Thanks!

Drakkith said:
You have to expend fuel because you are no longer orbiting the Sun and have to perform work against gravity to keep from falling towards it. If you choose to describe things as if the Sun and Earth are orbiting you, then you still need to expend fuel to accelerate away from them as they "fall towards you".
It seems unlikely, but could matter get "stuck" and accumulate at the center of mass between two binary and tidally locked objects of similar mass?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_star#Center_of_mass_animations

stoomart said:
It seems unlikely, but could matter get "stuck" and accumulate at the center of mass between two binary and tidally locked objects of similar mass?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_star#Center_of_mass_animations

I haven't done the math, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect that any small amount of residual drift will place the matter closer to one binary member and the attraction of gravity will then attract it closer, making such an arrangement unstable. Also, note that matter occupies a non-zero volume, while the center of mass is a point.

There is an unstable equilibrium - in general it is not at the center of mass, as that scales with distance, while forces scale with inverse distance squared.
As an example, 1 kg at x=-1 and 9 kg at x=3 will create such an unstable equilibrium at x=0, but the center of mass is at x=2.6.

It is unstable, so nothing will stay there for long. It is not even a stationary point as the objects orbit around the center of mass, not around the unstable equilibrium point.

There is the Lagrange point closer to the smaller mass where you co-orbit so the rotation is fine, but that is unstable as well.

Likes sophiecentaur and stoomart
Thanks guys. After further reading, I think what I was getting at is Lagrangian points, though this is something totally different than what the OP was talking about.

Edit: Just realized mfb mentioned this in his response.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur

1. Can a ship be parked in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year?

Yes, it is possible for a ship to be parked in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year. This type of orbit, also known as a geostationary orbit, is a circular orbit above the Earth's equator where the satellite's orbital period matches the Earth's rotation period. This allows the satellite to appear stationary in the sky from a fixed location on Earth.

2. What are the benefits of parking a ship in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year?

Parking a ship in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year allows for continuous coverage of a specific region on Earth. This is beneficial for communication, weather monitoring, and remote sensing purposes. It also minimizes the need for constant orbit adjustments, making it a cost-effective option for long-term missions.

3. How is a Space Stationary Orbit different from other types of orbits?

A Space Stationary Orbit is different from other types of orbits because it is geosynchronous, meaning the satellite maintains a fixed position relative to Earth. In contrast, satellites in other types of orbits, such as low Earth orbit, have varying positions relative to Earth and require constant adjustments to maintain their orbit.

4. What challenges are associated with parking a ship in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year?

Parking a ship in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year requires precise calculations and careful planning. Any slight deviation from the designated orbit can result in the satellite drifting out of place. Additionally, the intense gravity of Earth and other factors, such as solar radiation pressure, can cause the satellite to slowly lose altitude over time, requiring periodic adjustments.

5. Can any type of ship be parked in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year?

No, not all types of ships are suitable for parking in a Space Stationary Orbit for a year. The ship must be equipped with specialized propulsion systems and communication equipment to maintain its orbit and communicate with Earth. It must also be able to withstand the harsh conditions of space, such as extreme temperatures and radiation.