Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary property of geodesics - Dirac

1. Jan 23, 2015 #1
    In Dirac's book on GRT, top of page 17, he has this: (I'll use letters instead of Greeks)

gcdgac(dva/ds) becomes (dvd/ds)

I seems to me that that only works if the metric matrix is diagonal.
    (1) Is that correct?
    (2) If so, that doesn't seem to be a legitimate limitation on the property of geodesics??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No. ##g^{cd}g_{ac} = \delta^{d}{}{}_{a}## by definition of the inverse of any metric tensor, hence the desired result.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Ah yes, I see that now. Thanks.

PS. Must the metric matrix always be symmetric? For example, a skew-symmetric matrix can produce the same ds^2 interval as a diagonal. Just curious.

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

It gives you the same ##ds^2## as some diagonal matrix, but it won't work for calculating the inner product of two different vectors.

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A metric is, by definition, symmetric. :)

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To expand on this just a bit, the metric must be symmetric because the inner product is commutative; ##g(a, b) = g(b, a)## for any two vectors ##a## and ##b##. If you write this out in components, you get that ##g## must be a symmetric matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook