Solve Stationary Radar Homework: Find Ship's Velocity

• Thread starter Loppyfoot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radar
In summary, a stationary radar operator observed a ship that was initially 12 km south of their location. An hour later, the ship was 10 km southeast. Assuming the ship moved at a constant speed and direction, the question is asking for its velocity during this time. To solve this problem, a diagram can be drawn to find the length of the line connecting the two points. This line represents the path of the ship and can help determine its velocity. The ship's movement can also be broken down into i and j unit vectors to further analyze its velocity.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

A stationary radar operator determines that a ship is 12 km south of him. An hour later the same ship is 10 km southeast. If the ship moved at constant speed and always in the same direction, what was its velocity during this time?

This is so easy but I am just so confused about how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram.
Find the two points and draw a line joining them - from the triangle you can find the length of the line (it's even a right angle to make it easier!)

I drew the diagram, but I couldn't find a right angle anywhere. Where is this right angle? I need to find the i and j unit vectors, but how?

There is a line from the ship due south (ie down the page)
Then a line from the ship southeast ( 45deg down-left)
Then you have a line joining them - that's the path of the ship - you just need to find the length of this line

How would I find this in i and j vectors?

1. What is stationary radar and how does it work?

Stationary radar is a type of radar system that is fixed in one location and used to detect the velocity of objects in its surrounding area. It works by sending out pulses of radio waves and measuring the time it takes for the waves to bounce back off of objects and return to the radar. The radar then uses this information to calculate the speed and direction of the objects.

2. How can radar be used to find a ship's velocity?

Radar can be used to find a ship's velocity by measuring the Doppler shift of the radio waves that bounce off the ship. As the ship moves towards or away from the radar, the frequency of the waves will change due to the Doppler effect. By analyzing this change in frequency, the radar can calculate the ship's velocity.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of radar measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of radar measurements, including atmospheric conditions, the curvature of the Earth, and the size and shape of the object being measured. Additionally, any interference or obstacles between the radar and the object can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How do you solve a homework problem involving stationary radar and a ship's velocity?

To solve a homework problem involving stationary radar and a ship's velocity, you will need to use the formula V = λf/c, where V is the velocity of the ship, λ is the wavelength of the radar, f is the frequency of the radar, and c is the speed of light. You will also need to know the angle at which the radar is pointing and the distance between the radar and the ship.

5. Are there any limitations to using stationary radar to find a ship's velocity?

Yes, there are some limitations to using stationary radar to find a ship's velocity. For example, if the ship is moving directly towards or away from the radar, the Doppler shift will be minimal and it may be difficult to accurately calculate the velocity. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions and signal interference.