1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary red and blue shifts

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    When I look through my glasses at an inclination to the normal to the plane of the eye I see one vertical edge of a stationary object or at least an edge with a vertical length component to be blue and the other red.
    It is like when the angle is measured anticlockwise the near edge of the object appears blue and the far red; it is the other way for clockwise measurements.
    The bluening and reddening also intensify with increase in the inclination. Which is the phenomenon in picture?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you are seeing a refraction effect similar to that of a prism.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3
    Why only blue and red edges like doppler shifts then?

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess: the intermediate colors got mixed so it looks white.

6. Jul 8, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Doppler shifts don't make things only red or blue. They shift the entire spectrum upward ("blue") or downward ("red").

7. Jul 8, 2009 #6
    The intermediate color is green. It does not mix up with itself to get white.
    Well, white light is refracted in a prism, you mean every ray of white light I see must be refracted to give constituent colors; but only the vertical edges change color when I make a "no" twist and the horizontal when a "yes" move (of the neck) so the object makes an inclination.

8. Jul 9, 2009 #7
    Ok I know nobody of you have an answer to this.
    It has been a mystery for the past year.
    Is it time to claim that I've discovered it?

9. Jul 9, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

This is not a mystery. You have "discovered" chromatic aberration - something that has been well-understood for a very long time.

10. Jul 9, 2009 #9
    Right, I found it. It was deleted from the syllabus!!
    At least now I know what it is.
    And what is spherical aberration?
    I must say I have a satisfaction I never had

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  11. Jul 9, 2009 #10

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When rays (parallel from a distant object) hit a lens or a mirror getting the rays to focus at one point requires a parabolic shape. For practical purposes, the mirror or lens has a spherical shape, so that the focus is slightly fuzzy. This is called spherical aberration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook