Stationary Values Homework: Find Co-ordinates & Nature

• Thread starter keighley
  • Start date
Remember the gist of the process is to set the partial derivatives of the function equal to 0 and then solve the resulting system of equations for x and y. You can then use the second derivative test to determine the nature of each stationary point.
keighley

Homework Statement

I have been asked to answer the following:

The function (x^3)+(y^3)-(2x^2)-(2y^2)+(3xy) has two stationary values. Determine their co-ordinates and their nature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
keighley said:

Homework Statement

I have been asked to answer the following:

The function (x^3)+(y^3)-(2x^2)-(2y^2)+(3xy) has two stationary values. Determine their co-ordinates and their nature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I am stuck.
Your textbook should have a section on finding stationary points for functions of two variables. I'm reasonably certain it will also have a worked example or two.

What is the purpose of finding stationary values?

Finding stationary values allows us to determine the relative maximum and minimum points of a function, as well as points where the function has a horizontal tangent.

How do you find the stationary values of a function?

To find the stationary values of a function, we set the derivative of the function equal to 0 and solve for the variable. The resulting value(s) will be the coordinates of the stationary point(s).

What does the nature of a stationary point tell us?

The nature of a stationary point tells us whether it is a maximum or minimum point, or a point of inflection, by analyzing the second derivative of the function at that point.

How do you determine the nature of a stationary point?

To determine the nature of a stationary point, we evaluate the second derivative of the function at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a maximum. If the second derivative is 0, further analysis is needed to determine the nature of the point.

What are some real-world applications of finding stationary values?

Finding stationary values can be useful in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a cost or profit function. It is also used in physics and engineering to determine maximum and minimum points of velocity, acceleration, or other physical quantities.