Stationary wave in water tank

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
songoku
1614130966744.png

This is the set up to produce stationary wave. The oscillator on the left will produce wave on water surface then this wave will travel to right, reflected at the tank and the incoming and reflected wave will superpose to form stationary wave.

My teacher said when the water wave hits the tank at the right side, antinode of stationary wave will be formed because it is a free end. I don't understand why it is a free end, I thought it as a fixed end since the tank is a rigid container. My analogy is at the closed end of a closed pipe, node is always formed, not antinode so why at the tank an antinode is formed?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
My analogy is at the closed end of a closed pipe, node is always formed, not antinode so why at the tank an antinode is formed?
This is the difference between a transverse wave and longitudinal one.

Water waves are transverse; the water level moves up and down while the wave propagates sideways and at the edge of the tank the water is free to move up and down.

Sound waves are longitudinal; the air moves back and forth and at the end of the closed pipe is constrained not to be able to move.

Last edited:
songoku
Thank you very much Nugatory

Suggested for: Stationary wave in water tank

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post