Stationary Waves: Reflection & Odd Harmonics

In summary: In the second one, 3/4 of a wavelength fits. In the third, 5/4 of a wavelength fits - so the wavelength is 5/3 as long as the fundamental. The fourth has 7/4 of a wavelength, so the wavelength is 7/4 as long as the fundamental.In summary, waves in an open air column are reflected at the open end and produce only odd harmonics due to the node and antinode configuration. This means that only 1/4 or 3/4 or 5/4 or 7/4 etc of a wave can fit in the tube. This is because the closed end must be a node and the open end an antinode. The wavelength of
FizixFreak
hi there i just wanted to know that how are waves reflected in an open air column and what do we mean about odd harmonics? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi FizixFreak! Welcome to PF! :smile:
FizixFreak said:
hi there i just wanted to know that how are waves reflected in an open air column

See the PF Library on open end :wink:

THE website great man thank you very much

but what about odd harmonics

Odd harmonics are odd-integer multiples of the fundamental frequency: [itex]f_0[/itex], [itex]3f_0[/itex], [itex]5f_0[/itex], [itex]7f_0[/itex],etc.

i know that but why only odd harmonics are produced in an closed end column?

FizixFreak said:

jtbell said:
Odd harmonics are odd-integer multiples of the fundamental frequency: [itex]f_0[/itex], [itex]3f_0[/itex], [itex]5f_0[/itex], [itex]7f_0[/itex],etc.

no replies:cry:
i hope i m not wasting your time but i really need to know this stuff

FizixFreak said:

Because the closed end must be a node and the open end an antinode. This means that only 1/4 or 3/4 or 5/4 or 7/4 etc of a wave can fit in the tube. This gives only odd harmonics.

See the following page:

http://cnx.org/content/m12589/latest/

Scroll down to the diagram labeled "Allowed Wavelengths in a Stopped Tube."

How do the second, third and fourth waves compare in wavelength to the first one? (How much longer are they?)

Notice that in the first one (the fundamental), you're seeing only 1/4 of a wavelength.

1. What are stationary waves?

Stationary waves, also known as standing waves, are a type of wave pattern that forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in points along the wave that appear to be stationary, or not moving.

2. How do stationary waves form through reflection?

Stationary waves form through reflection when a wave is reflected back onto itself, creating interference. This occurs when a wave encounters a boundary or obstacle, such as a wall or a fixed end, and reflects back with the same frequency and amplitude.

3. What are odd harmonics in relation to stationary waves?

Odd harmonics are a type of frequency that is present in stationary waves. They are created when the wavelength of the stationary wave is an odd multiple of the fundamental frequency. This results in nodes and antinodes that alternate in amplitude along the wave.

4. How are stationary waves different from traveling waves?

The main difference between stationary waves and traveling waves is that stationary waves do not appear to move, while traveling waves propagate through space. Stationary waves also have nodes and antinodes, while traveling waves do not. Additionally, traveling waves transport energy, while stationary waves do not.

5. What are some real-world applications of stationary waves?

Stationary waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where the standing waves produced by the vibrating strings or air columns create different pitches. They are also used in medical ultrasound imaging, where stationary waves are produced by sound waves bouncing off different tissues in the body. Additionally, stationary waves are used in microwave ovens to evenly heat food, and in seismic exploration to map underground structures.