Exploring Probability: Three Dice Total Score of 5

In summary, by listing all the possible scores on three fair dice that result in a total score of 5 and calculating the total number of outcomes, it can be shown that the probability of Ivan obtaining a total score of 5 is 1/36. A table with three columns can be constructed to organize the outcomes and calculate the probability.
jinx007
Ivan throws three fair dice.

(i) List all the possible scores on the three dice which give a total score of 5, and hence show that
the probability of Ivan obtaining a total score of 5 is 1/36

MY PROBLEM HERE IS THAT I CANNOT LIST THE PROBABILITY OF POSSIBLE SCORE FOR THREE DICE, IN FACT FOR THE TWO DICE I KNOW THAT I HAVE TO CONTRUCT A TABLE BUT FOR THE 3 DICE I AM STUCK

HELPPPP THANKS IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by making a table with three columns

Die 1 Die 2 Die 3

then fill in the rows with all the ways to have the sides occur so that the sum is 5. You'll also need to calculate the total number of outcomes (number of ways three dice can come up: the number for 2 dice is 36 - you need the corresponding number for three dice)

1. What is the probability of rolling a total score of 5 with three dice?

The probability of rolling a total score of 5 with three dice is 4 out of 216, or approximately 1.85%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in a total score of 5 (4) by the total number of possible outcomes when rolling three dice (216).

2. How many combinations of three dice result in a total score of 5?

There are 4 combinations of three dice that result in a total score of 5: 1-1-3, 1-2-2, 2-1-2, and 3-1-1.

3. What is the most likely total score when rolling three dice?

The most likely total score when rolling three dice is 10, with a probability of 27 out of 216, or approximately 12.5%. This can be calculated by finding the sum of the probabilities for each combination that results in a total score of 10: 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-4-3, and 3-3-4.

4. Is it possible to roll a total score of 5 with two dice?

No, it is not possible to roll a total score of 5 with two dice. The minimum total score when rolling two dice is 2 (1-1), and the maximum total score is 12 (6-6).

5. How does changing the number of dice affect the probability of rolling a total score of 5?

As the number of dice increases, the probability of rolling a total score of 5 decreases. This is because the total number of possible outcomes increases, making it less likely to roll a specific combination that results in a total score of 5. For example, with four dice, the probability of rolling a total score of 5 is 10 out of 1,296, or approximately 0.77%.