Developing a Statistic Test: Can I Have Some Help?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where given two means, mu1 and mu2, and their corresponding variances, sigma1^2 and sigma2^2, the task is to test the hypothesis Ho: mu1=2*mu2 versus H1: mu1>2*mu2. The suggested solution is to use the two sample t-test, assuming the means are unknown and estimated from the data.
brad sue
Hi,
I have this problem that I cannot figure out what to do:

Given mean 1 =mu 1, variance =sigma1^2.
mean 2=mu2, variance =sigma2^2
Test hypothesis Ho: mu1=2*mu2 versus
H1: mu1>2*mu2.

Develop a statistic test.

Can I have some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an odd problem. Typically the mean is a parameter, as opposed to a statistic. The two means are either equal or not. The statement "test hypothesis H0: 1=2 vs. H1: 1>2" does not make logical sense. I guess you have to assume the means are unknown and are estimated from the data. If so, you can apply the two sample t-test.

Sure, I'd be happy to help you develop a statistic test for this hypothesis. First, we need to determine what type of test we will use. Since we are comparing two means, a t-test would be appropriate in this situation.

Next, we need to calculate the test statistic. In this case, we will use the formula for the t-test for independent samples:

t = (x̄1 - x̄2) / √(s1^2/n1 + s2^2/n2)

Where x̄1 and x̄2 are the sample means, s1^2 and s2^2 are the sample variances, and n1 and n2 are the sample sizes for groups 1 and 2, respectively.

We will also need to calculate the degrees of freedom for the t-test, which is equal to (n1 + n2 - 2).

Once we have our test statistic, we can compare it to the critical value from a t-distribution table to determine if it falls in the rejection region, which would lead us to reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative hypothesis.

I hope this helps you get started on developing your statistic test. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of developing a statistic test?

The purpose of developing a statistic test is to determine the significance of a relationship or difference between two or more variables. It is used to make inferences about a population based on a sample of data.

2. What are the steps involved in developing a statistic test?

The steps involved in developing a statistic test include: defining the research question, selecting an appropriate test based on the type of data and research question, setting the level of significance, collecting and organizing data, performing the test, and interpreting the results.

3. How do I choose the appropriate statistic test?

The appropriate statistic test is chosen based on the type of data and research question. If the data is numerical and the research question involves comparing means, a t-test would be appropriate. If the data is categorical and the research question involves comparing proportions, a chi-square test would be suitable. It is important to consult with a statistician or refer to a statistical guide to choose the most appropriate test.

4. Can I use any statistical software to perform the test?

Yes, there are many statistical software programs available that can perform various statistical tests. Some popular ones include SPSS, SAS, and R. It is recommended to choose a software that is user-friendly and has the necessary features for the specific test being performed.

5. How do I interpret the results of the statistic test?

The interpretation of the results will depend on the type of test and the research question. Generally, the results will provide a p-value, which indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis is true. If the p-value is less than the chosen level of significance, the results are considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis can be rejected. It is important to also consider the effect size and practical significance when interpreting the results.