Statistical Analysis of Input Parameters

In summary: M a = y, where each a is the contribution of the corresponding parameter to the output (the y's); and the solution is a = M-1 y.In summary, I don't know how to compare the results correctly now :(In summary, Fisher lives?
hexa
Hello,

I've been running a model with different combinations of imput parameters. Let's just assume they look like this:

As a result I receive a certain numerical value. Jus by looking at that value I can see if the result is good or not. But how do I decently analyse the influence of the input parameters on that result? As I know about nothing about statistics I can only cont how often every parameter appears with a good or bad result. But what about combinations of parameters? how do I analyse the meaning of a good result from a parameter which usually results in good and another that results in a bad result? Furthermore, some results are wonderful, some are not so good, some a not so bad, and some terribly bad.

I think it might be easier if I had a huge list of parameters and always only combinations of 2, but in fact I have only 5 parameters to play with, which results in 26 possible combinations.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fisher lives?

hexa said:
But how do I decently analyse the influence of the input parameters on that result? As I know about nothing about statistics

At first I thought you must be asking a garbled question about the theory of designs. But maybe not. In which case the obvious question is: what do you know about the theory of designs?

How is it that the number of input parameters is changing from one trial to the next?

EnumaElish said:
How is it that the number of input parameters is changing from one trial to the next?

Because I'm still trying to find out which combination works best, and if there's a minimum number of input parameters for a good result, and if that number is depended on the types of input parameters. I just don't know how to compare the results correctly now :(

Chris Hillman said:
At first I thought you must be asking a garbled question about the theory of designs. But maybe not. In which case the obvious question is: what do you know about the theory of designs?

Nothing. I don't know what you're talking about. If I knew how to formulate my question clearly then I think I would already be a step closer to solving my problem simply as I would have at elast some basic knowledge on statistics.

hexa

hexa said:
Because I'm still trying to find out which combination works best, and if there's a minimum number of input parameters for a good result, and if that number is depended on the types of input parameters. I just don't know how to compare the results correctly now :(
I see. the easiest method would be to estimate a multiple regression of the type y = b0 + b1 x1 + ... + bk xk for each combination of k parameters (the x's) that you have used (and y is the observed output). You can then compare model fit across different k's and different parameter combinations by looking at the ADJUSTED R-SQUARED statistic of each equation.

EnumaElish said:
I see. the easiest method would be to estimate a multiple regression of the type y = b0 + b1 x1 + ... + bk xk for each combination of k parameters (the x's) that you have used (and y is the observed output). You can then compare model fit across different k's and different parameter combinations by looking at the ADJUSTED R-SQUARED statistic of each equation.

Hello,

thanks a lot, that's something already. I'm just not quiet sure what to do with this.

lets assume I have
par1-par2-par3 = 80
par2-par3-par4 = 95

Please can you give me a few more hints? I understand just as much that I have to solve this in a matrix somehow, but what to solve for is a bit of a mystery. Yes, I'm rubbish with these things :(

Hexa

Multiple regression will work only if either:
1. you take repeated measurements with each parameter combination and identical parameter values and each measurement is at least a little different from the others; or:
2. you assign different values to each parameter in a given combination of parameters and (as a result) record different output values.

If that is not the case, you'll be better off, say, taking the following "exact" measurements:

par1 par2 par3 = 80
par1 par2 par4 = 95
par1 par3 par4 = 70
par2 par3 par4 = 90

which is 4 equations in 4 unknowns and can be solved by:
[1 1 1 0] [a1] _ [80]
[1 1 0 1] [a2] = [95]
[1 0 1 1] [a3] _ [70]
[0 1 1 1] [a4] _ [90]

or in matrix notation M a = y, where each a is the contribution of the corresponding parameter to the output (the y's); and the solution is a = M-1 y.

In case of multiple regression, you'd be changing parameter levels as well as the combination, so you'll end up with, say:

[10 10 10 0] _____ [80]
[20 10 10 0] _____ [85]
[25 10 10 0] _____ [90]
[10 15 0 10] [b1] _ [95]
[10 17 0 10] [b2] _ [85]
[10 19 0 10] [b3] = [75]
[10 0 10 10] [b4] _ [71]
[10 0 10 11] _____ [77]
[10 0 10 12] _____ [67]
[0 10 10 25] _____ [99]
[0 10 10 35] _____ [100]
[0 10 10 45] _____ [110]

or X b = y - u, where u is "random error" (which may include measurement error), and b is "estimated" as [itex]\hat {\bold b}[/itex] = (X'X)-1X'y.

Last edited:

What is statistical analysis of input parameters?

Statistical analysis of input parameters is a process of interpreting and understanding data by applying statistical methods to the input variables or parameters that affect the outcome. It involves collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data to make informed decisions or draw conclusions.

Why is statistical analysis of input parameters important?

Statistical analysis of input parameters is important because it helps in identifying patterns, trends, and relationships in data. It also allows for making data-based predictions and decisions. By understanding the input parameters, we can better understand the underlying processes and make more accurate conclusions.

What are some common statistical methods used in analyzing input parameters?

Some common statistical methods used in analyzing input parameters include descriptive statistics, correlation analysis, regression analysis, hypothesis testing, and ANOVA (analysis of variance). These methods help in summarizing and understanding the data, identifying relationships between variables, and testing for significance.

What are the steps involved in conducting statistical analysis of input parameters?

The steps involved in conducting statistical analysis of input parameters include defining the research question, collecting and organizing data, selecting appropriate statistical methods, analyzing the data, and interpreting the results. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the chosen methods and to communicate the findings effectively.

How can statistical analysis of input parameters be used in real-world applications?

Statistical analysis of input parameters can be used in various real-world applications such as market research, quality control, medical research, and environmental studies. It can help in identifying trends and patterns in consumer behavior, monitoring and improving product quality, identifying risk factors for diseases, and evaluating the impact of environmental factors on a population. It can also aid in decision-making and policy development in various industries and fields.